Green veggie suggestions for our Ruby?

Parky50

Jan 26, 2022
Parrots
Female Ecletus
Hello All,

I'm looking for green veggie ideas for Ruby our female eclectus.
So far, she is NOT interested in the following:
  1. Broccoli
  2. Spring Mix Leaf
  3. Kale
  4. Green Beans
She does LOVE Bell Pepper (any color).

What greens does your eclectus enjoy?
I would really like to find a green that she will really enjoy.

Much appreciation in advance !!!

Mike

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello All,

I'm looking for green veggie ideas for Ruby our female eclectus.
So far, she is NOT interested in the following:
  1. Broccoli
  2. Spring Mix Leaf
  3. Kale
  4. Green Beans
She does LOVE Bell Pepper (any color).

What greens does your eclectus enjoy?
I would really like to find a green that she will really enjoy.

Much appreciation in advance !!!

Mike
My birds really love almost every veggie we give them. But some have a preference of how it's chopped. Some like it finely chopped, and other wants it large enough to hold. my ekkie loves and eats all the same veggies as the rest of the flock.

This thread is a list of different people's chop recipes and I'm sure you will find some green ones listed here to try.

Chop Recipes Resource Thread

I hope you can find something he will love:)

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Not an ekkie owner.
But I never accept that they don't like stuff, just that they don't like it right now :)
My rescue old lady quaker was slow to take to veggies. She came around. But the hold out was leafy greens, took 2 years! No joking they are now one of her favorites! Romaine, cabbage, Swiss shard, baby kale, shredded Brussels sprouts.

But some things yours might take to quicker are cooked mashed up sweet potatoes, roasted carrots, frozen peas thawed and serve , cucumber sliced long so seeds are in view. Zucchini

The more stuff and texture your get them trying, the better they get at trying new stuff. Now mine will give a go to anything new I find to offer.

Good luck! Bonus you'll probably stat eating more

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hate to say it, but my ekkie boy isn't a fan of most green things, but I keep trying. After 2 years, he's finally decided a few things aren't completely evil. Within the last few weeks, he's finally started eating a little broccoli, prefers stems to the florets, a few bites of romaine, and after having a few in his dish every single day, started liking Top's pellets. I'm not a fan of pellets for ekkies, but for him, the Top's is finally a way to get a little SOMETHING green into him, not as any kind of staple food. Otherwise, he will eat some green beans- fresh, uncooked, and left long. Cut them in any way and he tosses them. Bell peppers... He goes for the core, and will eat the rest only if they're red, and cut to just the right size. Too big or small, and he ignores them. Of course he'll eat other stuff, but it's a moving target from day to day. Variety is your best friend! :)

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Yup, size, shape, cooked, blanched, raw, temperature... All can make a difference. Some birds are pickier than others, so always worth investigating. :)

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
Wow. I see that we are fortunate that our male Eclectus has always eaten everything in his chop -- all green veggies are gobbled up. I make the chop very fine, but not mush, and I add spices like Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes. Garbanzo beans and quinoa are ingredients that seem to make him more enthusiastic about the chop. I change it up every batch.

To answer the question, you might want to try bitter greens like dandelion greens, chard, beet greens, carrot greens, radish greens, etc.

OP
Parky50

Parky50

Jan 26, 2022
Parrots
Female Ecletus
Wow. I see that we are fortunate that our male Eclectus has always eaten everything in his chop -- all green veggies are gobbled up. I make the chop very fine, but not mush, and I add spices like Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes. Garbanzo beans and quinoa are ingredients that seem to make him more enthusiastic about the chop. I change it up every batch.

To answer the question, you might want to try bitter greens like dandelion greens, chard, beet greens, carrot greens, radish greens, etc.
Will do... Thank you !!!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Also, maybe smoothie of green vegetable on something the bird likes?
I hear that herbs are good for birds, in which case maybe she would eat mint or basil. Is there a reason you especially want her to eat green veggies?

Oopsadaysey

Mar 11, 2022
East Gippsland Australia
Parrots
21yr old LutinoxPearl Quarrion (sorry cockatiel) Munchkin aka The Princess
She is a beautiful bird.
A lot of birds love chillies, but suggestions - Silver Beet or Spinach, cooked sweet potato - not too much (can go straight through them) Corn, ordinary cooked potato. Note - greens must be fresh not packaged in a mix, sometimes these are treated to stop them going off and you may actually do harm to the bird.
Parrots can be very picky, my old Galah (Chook) would eat the strangest things and turn his nose up at fresh picked greens from the garden.

tacocaTEclectus

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
tacocaT the Eclectus hatched 9/16/22
I know this thread is a little old but my guy loves Lima beans, watercress (chopped small), peas, sprouted lentils and peas and chia (the leaves are greens, right?). Try dandelion greens or other flowers, try fresh herbs, mine LOVES BASIL!!! also, make yourself an eclectus safe salad and maybe your buddy “accidentally” steals food from your plate 🙂

OP
Parky50

Parky50

Jan 26, 2022
Parrots
Female Ecletus
Thank you all for the suggestions !!!
Just want to be sure that she is getting all her needed nutrients.

She has just now popped out 1 new bright yellow wing feather and was reading that it might be from a nutrient deficiency or stress? I really doubt the stress as she is calm and very sweet and never seems stressed at all?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You can get yellow feathers because of damage to the growing feather, for just about any reason. It is not a guarantee of liver damage.

OP
Parky50

Parky50

Jan 26, 2022
Parrots
Female Ecletus
You can get yellow feathers because of damage to the growing feather, for just about any reason. It is not a guarantee of liver damage.
Good to know... thanks Heather !!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts