Green Wing Age

TheChickenMan

Sep 30, 2018
I live in eastern New England.
Parrots
Although I have no parrots, I am a wanna-be parront. I most interested in green wing macaws and sun conures.
I'm doing research on green wing macaws, and I've been getting a lot of mixed results on their age. Some say that they live to be 80 on average, and then other sources will say less than 50. I just want to see if any green wing macaw owners had any actual data so I could get a good average. Thanks!, any replies are appreciated.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Good luck with your research! I've not had a macaw for the full lifespan so cannot comment. You'll find a huge continuum of longevity online, and I imagine captive lifestyle attributes are as important as species capacity for life.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
It's one of those "nobody knows" (yet) questions.

Parrotkeeping is a rather novel idea, and keeping records is almost non-existent... plus the "art and science" of keeping them alive keeps changing (better food, medical care, housing, exercise)...
so the consensus is "they live verrry, verrry long lives" but nobody has a number.

No matter what parrot you get to share your life..always make sure there is a contingencyplan: if something happens to the human -> where will the parrot go?
Some rehoming organisations offer a kind of contract - they will step in in time of need, some people do it the old fashioned way and the children take care of the bird from then on or maybe friends will take them.

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I can't say where due to forum rules, but on another forum there was a member who had a GWM in her 70's I think. Still played with toys and acted like a parrot too, albeit a bit slower due to cataracts and arthritis (both common in senior birds).

50 sounds like an old school maximum lifespan estimate, back when owners knew little about proper care of parrots and fed them wrong, put them in the wrong size cage, poisonous things in the environment, bird was wild caught and age was unknown in the first place etc... That or they only live to around 50 in the wild. 70-80 would likely be a more accurate estimate for a large macaw hatched in captivity today who received a proper diet and routine care with a avian vet.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If you can't imagine 80, I wouldn't take the gamble...

Most Reactions

Latest posts