Greenwing Macaw Leg Band Help

mrs.axelsson

Feb 28, 2013
california
Parrots
Greenwing macaw
My husband and I adopted a unknown male or female Greenwing Macaw last night. We read her/his leg band which is 6AA (95 sidewaise) 52. Any help on where she came from or the breeder so we can get and exact age and possible knkw the sex would be very helpful. Also any tips you have on handling her, she was never caged, does not fly, perches on a manzantia stand and rode home on my husbands shoulder for a 1 1/2 hiur car ride. She was kept inside amd often left outside sitting on her hanging perch and forgotten about till the following morning... she is said to be very quiet and goes to all people.
Shes great for us its only been a few hours really bit we are going to so whatever it takes to keep her happy and enjoy her. I hope we see more of her personality as she grows comfortable with us. I call her she because her band is on the left leg and read mostly but now always males are banded right and females left.
Thank you!!:red1:

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
From what I could ascertain the 6AA is the breeder 95 is the year the band was used (hatch year of parrot) and 52 would probably be the fifty second band in the batch of bands that breeder had ordered.

For example my Illiger's macaw Diego came from a breeder in California who banded her babies with AFA bands (she belonged to that organization) The band would read the AFA sideways with JCM (name of her aviary) CA was sideways (California) then the number 042. This means she had 41 bands before and Diego's was her forty second band in her series. Until I came up with Diego's name he was called "little 42." Diego was hatched in 2001.

My Solomon Island Eclectus Joaquin Breeder was a member of SPBE and these letters are sideways on the band. TOE is listed for the name of her aviary (Touch of Eden) then 01 is sideways (hatch year for Joaquin) and the number 03 which was probably the third band in that series.

My Noble macaw Mihijo was my oldest parrot. I got him in 1995 and his band reads simply DKK (breeders two first name initials with their last name initial) MN for Minnesota and the number 21. In 1999 Mihijo had to have his leg band cut off because he shoved it up his thigh and I could not work it back down his leg. It is now in two pieces and they do not line up. I wonder if little bitty pieces are missing and if so one more piece of information of the year he was hatched in 1995 is missing from the band?

Valentino's band AFA is sideways then WPP with TX and 12 sideways then the number 1414. The band also has the American Federation of Aviculture seal on it.

I have probably confused you more. Hopefully this helped a little bit.

OP
mrs.axelsson

mrs.axelsson

Feb 28, 2013
california
Parrots
Greenwing macaw
The numbers 95 are up and down... so for the band sideways I guess... I want to find out who the breeder is? Is there a website or a number I can call?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If your breeder is listed, you might be able to find them here... (there were two previous sites that had a lot of information about leg bands on them, but have since been closed down)
New Leg Band Registry

A YH group that helps trace bands LegBandNumbers : Leg Band Numbers

A few places that produce leg bands may or may not help trace the band if it's one of theirs...
L_M_Bird Leg Bands Products Catalogue
Red Bird Products
DL Products - Leg Bands, Bird Bands, Bird Rings

Information on Leg Bands
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - The ABC's Of Leg Bands - Identifying Birds
Interpreting Bird Bands
Choosing Your Bird

Doing a quick search, I can't find a 6AA, although a couple GAA's came up... A lot of hits came up for just AA, but it was usually something like AAA, AAC, AACC, AAM, AAS, BAA or something to that effect. The name Allie's Aviaries also came up, but didn't find much info there. The band should also have FL on it if it's one of theirs.

Best of luck!

Most Reactions