Greetings and Salutations from a new owner of a Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure :D

GreenEyedMonster

Oct 4, 2013
Sydney
Parrots
Cinnamon Green Cheeked Conure
Hi Everyone!

I recently adopted a Cinnamon Green Cheeked Conure for my Pop, having read some good thing about them being used as companions animals.

I spend a lot of time taking care of my grandfather- he suffers dementia (not too advanced) and now we've learned that after 21 years in remission his oral cancer has returned. He turned 80 a month ago, surgery isn't an option and the radiation therapy he's just started has approximately 20% chance if working. I live with my grandparents, and try help out the best I can but I felt I needed some back up....

That's where Shimmy came in. Originally i was looking for a native parrot (we are in Australia) but when doing some online research, I found a lot about Conures being used in pet-assisted therapy. I was intrigued and when I went to the bird shop, I saw the Cinnamon Green Cheeks and chose Shimmy for the fact it was the first bird to jump on my hand when I put it in the cage, and the red marking on the chest looked just like a love heart.

We have only had Shimmy for a week. I was told she was 6 weeks when I got her/him - i couldn't afford DNA sexing so as this is an open minded family, we accept shim whatever gender, haha. Shimmy has quickly become a member of the household, we let he/she out of the cage often, and Shimmy is happy to be cuddled, hand-fed, scratched on the head, use the arms of our spectacles as a perch , wander round the coffee table and play with pens and little trinkets, and is quite content to sit on the window sill, next to pop and watch the native birds, cars and people go by...

I've done my homework in terms of diet and handling, teaching tricks and all of that, and sit down with Pop regularly to remind him (dementia...) about what shimmy likes to eat. Because we have two cats and a budgie, Pop was confused to he/she's gender and name for a while, but since writing Shimmys name on the bottom of the cage, he is reminded :)

Every morning he cleans the cage out and puts fresh water and chopped veges mixed with seed in for Shimmy. It's really helped already! Pop loves animals, so I thought this might give him even more or a reason to fight this and stay around long enough to meet more great grandchildren and great great grandchildren. The poor guy has been through hell, but managed to keep smiling. I'm thrilled that Shimmy keeps Pop occupied, and give him some feathery cuddles... It's great to have some happy moments, and we've passed on quite a few snaps of pop and his new friend on to family and friends who live far away, so they can feel some peace of mind regarding his condition.

I suppose my purpose in joining the forum is to seek out anyone else that is experienced with conures, or using pets as therapy, especially with older people, as well as find out more about what I can do to keep Shimmy happy and healthy. I'd love any advice I can get, as I know these birds live a while, and i'll be inheriting Shimmy in the end anyway (unless Pop lives til 110!) so I want to make sure that I know what I'm doing... I've kept a variety of exotic animals, as well as cats and dogs but my only experience with a bird was a cranky budgie as a teenager, but I have to say, I'm being converted!

Any advice, stories and suggestions welcome! Thanks for listening :)

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
I have no advice for you but just wanted to say welcome to the forum! I also wanted to add that I think what you are doing by taking care of your Pop is amazing. As a nurse I know how hard it can be both physically and emotionally and I greatly admire you for doing it!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Welcome to the forum! :)

I haven't used conures as a therapy bird before but have heard of people doing so. Conures are full of energy and love to destroy things! They are often very interactive birds that like to be kept busy, and can be great learners, too! :)

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Would love to see some pics of your grandpa and his new friend :) it's good to hear its working out between them

OP
G

GreenEyedMonster

Oct 4, 2013
Sydney
Parrots
Trying to figure this forum out and how to post my pics. I have so many! Such photogenic subjects... (Both Pop and Shinmy!) I'm going to put together some nice ones :)

It's going great, I have noticed that Shimmy gets a little... Cantankerous without regular attention, but there's no shortage of that. I've started trying to make sure Pop interacts with Shimmy more than me, because I've found that he/she seems to be bonding with me, which is fairly understandable because I've been spending quite a lot of time with Shimmy, trying to teach some tricks and how to come when called. I went in to pops room last night to speak to him and as soon as Shimmy heard my voice (the cage was covered over) it was just squawking... Shimmy also follows me around when out of the cage- left he/she on the couch, hanging with its cob or corn while I ducked on the balcony for a moment. Two minutes later Shimmy was at the (closed) balcony door, trying to find a way out. Never having been a "bird person" I am quite surprised at the interaction, and Pop is loving his new friend- although the refers to he/she as "Dirty Bird" because the bottom of the cage is so messy every day when he cleans it. Hahaha. I've found peas, corn and sunflower seeds seem to be faves, Especially frozen peas. Shimmy seems to love playing with it and mushing it up. It's been quite hot, so anything cold seems to be on the menu (we had to add another small container of water for "bathing, as Shimmy kept dunking its head in he/she's water container. Hours of entertainment watching shimmy play with the toys I've made and play "hiding" games...

Pop just started week two of radiation and this week has two days of a "double dose" but every day he just gets up, goes through it and comes home, he's clearly tired and in pain, but has great family (and pet!) support so we are hopeful. He has a review tomorrow with his oncologist, so were hoping for good-or just not bad-news.

OP
G

GreenEyedMonster

Oct 4, 2013
Sydney
Parrots
I have managed to create an album of a few photos- woohoo, success!

Last edited:

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
The pic of your grandfather with Shimmy is so adorable! Your pop looks so happy and Shimmy is beautiful. Your grandfather is very blessed to have such a caring, loving grandaughter such as you. :smile015:

OP
G

GreenEyedMonster

Oct 4, 2013
Sydney
Parrots
Thanks, I do my best but I think all the praise goes to Pop for being such a trooper!

Most Reactions

Latest posts