Grey destroying feathers

Jan 25, 2021
About a month ago i noticed a few torn up feathers under my greys left wing, no panic till last 2 nights shes destroyed half of her red tail, as she sits in the dark shes going at it and wont go out with me, and even if she does come out she can still do it of course. Ive had her for years and never had this issue, she had a stroke and a great comeback however if i play rough with her she pants and one wing sags a lil bit, but she back to being happy loved and even has a roomate amazon parrot, I take out a few hours every day.. she eats fine. Im not sure what to do here.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Time to get her into her Avian Medical Professional as the bases of the picking maybe an illness. There is a test that requirers a skin sample of the effected area. IF, found it is treatable. But the test has to be applied during the very early stages. So, its a fast trip to your Certified or Qualified Avian Vet!!

Also have your Avian Vet check for possible heart and/or other organ issues.

OP
CyrusLUVSGemma
Jan 25, 2021
I do not bathe her, since she always freaks out in the shower. could she have mites? I avoid forcing her, she takes a bath in her water when she wants to.

OP
CyrusLUVSGemma
Jan 25, 2021
Ok new info, Im surely taking Gemma to her vet however its been the weekend and I doubt the DR will be there monday AM waiting to see me.

I held her down and looked carefully through her hind/ red feathers. I found a few long and opened ones, I know this is normal however one of them i toughed gently and she went wild, and afterwards I confirmed it is bleeding. Im sorry about the terminology however its a feather that hasn't opened up yet apparently that seems infected im thinking since there is blood involved ( I never pulled it).

So what im asking is, what is this known as ( this situation with the blood)?

Is there something I can do?

Im just trying to console my bird she destroying her last tail feather now.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
What you appear to describe is a "blood feather," absolutely normal during development. Final stage occurs when there is no visible blood and the tip begins to unfold. Remainder of feather encased in keratin sheath ready to be groomed off by bird or human. A leaking blood feather can be emergency leading to significant blood loss if broken at the stem. If you have "stop quick" styptic powder, apply to base and gently pack around the wound. In some cases the feather must be removed with firm pull.

Many birds dislike bathing but respond well to fine mist sprays. "Dollar Stores" sell small bottles* with adjustable nozzles. Fill with warm water, adjust to absolute finest setting. Hold bottle about a foot away from bird, aiming upwards at 45 degree angle so mist falls on bird like rain. Gradually increase flow rate as desired.

*Using an old bottle containing foreign substances not recommended even if thoroughly rinsed.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Misting can be an enjoyable time for your Parrot. As stated so very well above. The goal is to mist above the Parrot. As your Parrot becomes more comfortable with the process, they commonly begin to use their water bowl. We find that a larger, heavy glass pie dish works well. But like most everything, they need to be introduced over time.

OP
CyrusLUVSGemma
Jan 25, 2021
I made an appointment.

I tried the spray bottle before, she hates it. But this isnt about a bath. I gave her a good one yesterday and it didnt help.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I agree that your bird needs to go to an avian vet. They must go yearly at get blood drawn (at minimum) every 3.

That having been said, how many hours sleep does she get in a quiet space/on-schedule nightly?
When you touch her, do you pet outside the head and neck? If so, stop-- a hormonal bird can self destruct this way. The sleep also regulates hormones and immune health.
If you have any shadowy spaces (huts, tents, boxes, bedding, pillows, blankets, under furniture, low ledges etc) remove those too-- again, hormones.

Are you using chemical cleaners, fragrances etc in your home? If so, stop. They should not be around oils, cleaners, fragrances, teflon/pte/pfoa/pfcs etc-- if you are touching your bird with lotion on, or wearing perfume, this could all be related.

OP
CyrusLUVSGemma
Jan 25, 2021
10-12 hours of sleep, sometimes do i keep her up late with me hanging out.

Ive had her for about 6 years and I can say not much has changed. This is so random! I think she is working up her back now. =( If this continues out of control is there something I can put on her so stop it?

OP
CyrusLUVSGemma
Jan 25, 2021
I visited the vet and she was given pain meds, and anti-histimine. didnt work. Shes been picking all over now. I emailed the Vet she responded that she would refer me to a birds specialty place where they can anesthetized her and run skin xray and blood tests. Being that my bird had a stroke a few months ago ( heart issues) and the obvious charges without any promise of prognosis, Im going to refrain for now.

I used a girls hair scrunchie around her neck , she hates it however maybe I can get her used to it, however perhaps if shes in pain its better to let her do it????? I question the ethicalness since she hates it anyway, IT does work!

1 thing I tried and works also is wetting her in the shower for 2 seconds, afterwards she just sits there and stares at the wall. after a while when shes dry she starts picking, I been wetting her all day lately.

Im really torn, she went from tearing my carpet up all day ( and me chasing her) and starting picking one day like a light switich shes no longer interested in the carpet. Its really tough to tell the real cause.

Thanks for reading, im open to ideas

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
how about essential oil nebulizer?

No no no- essential oils are not safe for them (as they enter the blood stream, which is how they work when used in the air and on skin). Furthermore, parrots have very sensitive air sacs that cannot have microscopic oil particles in them....SO, the oils could seriously damage your bird's respiratory system even just from you wearing them etc but, on top of that, they are medicinal and you could poison your bird. Many of these oils are not even safe around dogs/cats when used in diffusers (as toxic levels can enter the bloodstream-- levels safe for humans are not safe for animals---expecially birds)...and mammals are MUCH sturdier in the respiratory department...a nebulizer is even more intense and no parrot should be nebulized without an avian certified vet performing the procedure.
A diffuser is extremely unsafe...a nebulizer could be downright deadly.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Are you petting her outside of the head or neck and does she have any access to boxes, shadowy spaces, under furniture etc?
A sexually frustrated/hormonal bird will sometimes pluck/mutilate. Shadowy spaces and petting places other than the head and neck are bad news.

What tests did the vet run and what are the vet's credentials?

OP
CyrusLUVSGemma
Jan 25, 2021
Are you petting her outside of the head or neck and does she have any access to boxes, shadowy spaces, under furniture etc?
A sexually frustrated/hormonal bird will sometimes pluck/mutilate. Shadowy spaces and petting places other than the head and neck are bad news.

What tests did the vet run and what are the vet's credentials?

No tests were run, I just know she is an avian vet. The vet said this is not the birds hormonal season FYI.
Thanks for the info about the nebulizer im so glad I asked, at least I haven't had it long.
Gemma has been compulsively chewing the carpet for a long time, she lost interest the other night and only wants to chew herself . I cant tell if shes actually in pain. Im giving her metacam/ gabapentin though. do you know of a better neck brace?

Last edited:

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Specially made collars and suits for plucking birds sold online. I think with this history there’s something amiss. Prayers said for results to show the problem. Sometimes, domesticated greys lack vitamin d and calcium, make sure diet is on point.

Most Reactions

Latest posts