Grey not so good looking feathers

bahner

Apr 20, 2021
Hello,

I am considering buying a blue-headed amazon, but he's feathers worry me. From what I gather he might be suffering from Vitamin A deficiency. That I can handle but if not, I would like to know how serious this maybe.

26106d1618939098-grey-not-so-good-looking-feathers-arkas.jpg

Attachments

• arkas.jpg
    arkas.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 122
Last edited by a moderator:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
The grey feathers are his down feathers. So he likely barbers or plucks his green feathers. Feather destruction can be caused by anything from boredom to a serious health issues so it's hard to tell if it's serious or more easily manageable.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Owlet. Is right on.
Usually this is behavioral, they can have a wonderful life and be happy, but may never stop .

Sometimes getting them into a new and happy rewarding environment and good food and they will stop. And allow feathers to grow back.

If there's a health issue, and that's fixed tgey will let them grow back..

But feather plucking, and over preening is usually behavior not health issues. Often will continue for life. But they are still great parrots. I have a plucker as does Owlet, and many of our members here do.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I would like to add that considering the condition of his other torso feathers my money is on that her barbers his feathers (chews them off rather than plucking them) so it might take you longer to see positive results as the body isn't getting the message to grow new feathers since the shafts of the feathers are still in the skin. But don't give up!

OP
B

bahner

Apr 20, 2021
Thanks for the answers. That is about what I expected. There is something about the pictures, that tells me he's a bit afraid or a bit insecure - skeptical. I will go visit him on Saturday and see if he likes me and if I can get a feeling for him.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
O I'm glad you will give him a chance! It looks like he has lots of toys and perches, and looks like veggies or pellets on his beak so fed well. So I think he is being cared for.

Sometimes a high energy house, or any number of reasons can leadto this, or how they were weaned as a baby, there are so many complex issues when they ober preen, or pluck.

The good news is this is not how PBFD looks. And his eye look bright and alert.

Keep us updated!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If you're in fact considering buying this Parrot. IHMO, I would require that the Parrot is seen by an Avian Medical Professional prior to placing money on the table.

Remember that all young Amazons require a Hatch Certificate documentation if five years of age or younger.

Your location is very important as the closer your are to the Mexican Boarder the great the chance of 'Black Market Parrots.' You want documentation!

Last edited:
OP
B

bahner

Apr 20, 2021
>If you're in fact considering buying this Parrot. IHMO, I would require that the Parrot is seen by an Avian Medical Professional prior to placing money on the table.

I will. And the seller has. They were up front, when I asked. The parrot was in a very small cage before, and has become better with them - but they feel he needs more.

>Remember that all young Amazons require a Hatch Certificate documentation if five years of age or younger.

>Your location is very important as the closer your are to the Mexican Boarder the great the chance of 'Black Market Parrots.' You want documentation![/QUOTE]

He's 14 years of age. But we live in Norway and there is not much of a black market. But I agree with the thought.

The way I see it - even if he's ill in some way he needs to be taken care of. And I am OK with that. All the more reason to provide him with as good a life as possible. So I'll take him to the vet, just for a second opinion. He did have a bit of vitamin deficiency, but he is being given healthy food now and the plumage has become better.

Hence, there is a real good possibility for him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts