Grip strength?

Jammons

May 20, 2022
Parrots
Quaker
Green cheek conure
IRN
New ekkie owner but have been owned by a Quaker for the last 3 years, a GCC, and most recently an IRN. I was able to hand feed the 3 small birds once they were down to 2 feedings a day so I’ve spent quite a bit of time handling them. I feel like they always seemed to have a death grip when perching on a finger, hand or arm even at a very young age. Our new baby is 4.5 months olds, seems pretty calm for the most part, is currently eating fresh chop, a few frozen veggies, fresh fruit and tops pellets. Working on getting her to step up and have noticed that when she does, it’s almost like she has no strength in her feet? Is it possible that she is still just learning how to use them? She seems a little clumsy when she’s out on the top of her cage and navigating around the inside. She seems to grip the bars just fine. This is the largest bird I’ve ever owned so I don’t really know what to expect.

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus, conure, and cockatiel
New ekkie owner but have been owned by a Quaker for the last 3 years, a GCC, and most recently an IRN. I was able to hand feed the 3 small birds once they were down to 2 feedings a day so I’ve spent quite a bit of time handling them. I feel like they always seemed to have a death grip when perching on a finger, hand or arm even at a very young age. Our new baby is 4.5 months olds, seems pretty calm for the most part, is currently eating fresh chop, a few frozen veggies, fresh fruit and tops pellets. Working on getting her to step up and have noticed that when she does, it’s almost like she has no strength in her feet? Is it possible that she is still just learning how to use them? She seems a little clumsy when she’s out on the top of her cage and navigating around the inside. She seems to grip the bars just fine. This is the largest bird I’ve ever owned so I don’t really know what to expect.
Wdym by no strength in her feet? Does she not fully wrap them around your hands? Or maybe her nails are just trimmed well. I think i usually only notice their grip strength when it hurts aka time for a nail trim.
But if shes eating/drinking fine, not losing weight or looks like she has any discomforts (or wing flipping, toe tapping) she is pretty young so could be still learning and the clumsy part as well.
If her grip worries you though, you should give her vet a call and ask. then you don’t have to pay $300 for a checkup :p

Most Reactions