Gross bird “cleaning” habits!

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Opie sleeps on a platform and every day he wants to clean it himself. So far it's the only thing where he gets territorial - he does NOT want me to wipe it down. He is easily distracted by food still though so for now his breakfast isn't following a cleaning snack 🤞🏻
Is he clearing poops off the platform?

I watched a YouTube video of a mother robin feeding 5 hungry babies and noticed that when she returned to the nest with insects and stuffed them down the babies throats, it seemed like once they had eaten or at least while mom was at the nest the babies produced a fecal sac. Each baby stuck it’s rear end up and produced a big white dropping. And mom ate it. I think the baby poos are enclosed in mucus but I’m not sure if I’m remembering that right.

Seems like in this situation human moms have it better. Diapers are way better than ingesting mucus covered sacs of poo.

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yep, he keeps his bed very tidy ;)

Not a chore I would enjoy with my mouth.
Beakwash? Beak brush?

Maybe I won’t share lemonade with Willow any more. I thought he was just doing very careful poop artistry. Puts it in the same places over and over. (Braille?)

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
He's writing the next great novel and you don't even know!

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I figure the cage paper is a star chart to his original galaxy. (Had a dream about “planet of the giant Quakers” years ago.)

Most Reactions