Growing seeds

Melscamp

Oct 31, 2019
NY
Parrots
Hunny Bunny Munny Sunny & Roger the parakeets
Since I have SO MANY wasted seeds, I decided to start growing them. They have made a beautiful grass. Wondering if it's ok to let the budgies eat and walk on them?

Bird seed grass https://imgur.com/gallery/7GgCunk

:greenyellow::whiteblue::white1::blue2::yellow2:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We commonly provide the 'extras' left by our Amazon to the Wild Bird population.

As far as letting your Parrots wander among the grasses that have come from their left behind seed, sure! Walking on a semi to dry surface is preferred...

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Absolutely! Wild budgies have free access to native grass. Mine loves wheat grass (commonly used as cat grass). Some keets like to “shower” in freshly misted grasses. Make sure you watch out for perlite in your growing medium. That’s be an awful snack if accident ingested. Growing seeds in organic starter has been working well for us. Those grasses are truly fresh greens!
Read the ingredients on your bird seed mixes for healthy, sproutable and grow able seeds. Then give your birdie his own micro garden!

Another idea- hand feed your keet to reduce waste and ensure variety in his nutrition. When fed meals, rather than 24/7 access, your bird will experience hunger and be less likely to pick through the seed. But there will still be some ingredients that get refused and go uneaten (sigh, oh well).
These guys have fascinating anatomy and ability to store food. Perfect for their zippy metabolism.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
I regularly chuck the old seed into a pot, and grow it out, it then sets to seed and my birds love it, and green seed has 1000x the nutritional value than dry seed
Just keep it well watered and feed out sparingly
Thanks
Noah Till

Most Reactions

Latest posts