Guilt over cage time & considering getting a second conure

Junibird

Nov 30, 2021
Parrots
Maroon bellied conure
I've currently just got a six month old male maroon bellied. I love him to bits and never really planned on getting another bird until he passed, but my schedule has gotten a bit busier than expected and I'm starting to feel guilty about how much time he spends alone.

At the moment, his average day is 9am-8:30pm, with about an hour of shoulder time/cuddles in the morning, another hour around lunch time which usually includes some training, then anywhere between one and three hours in the evening. I work late afternoons so on those days he'll be out from 9am-11am roughly, then another hour or so before I go to work. If I'm not home too late I'll take him out for half an hour of cuddles so he doesn't go to bed feeling too abandoned. I try to do at least three 5-10 minute flight training sessions a day, then usually work on some tricks at night before bed.

My main concern is that his cage is in its own room at the back of the house. It's pretty big and is stuffed to the brim with toys and foraging activities, but the room is just so isolated from the rest of the house. I tried putting putting the radio on for him so he at least had something to listen to and he hated it. I wish I could put his cage in the living room but my housemates have a dog that would 100% knock the cage down trying to get to him if given half a chance.

Like I said, I thought I'd be happy with just one bird when I got my little guy, and for the most part I am. But I'm starting to consider getting a second conure so that he at least has some company during the day. They're lovely birds and I'd own a whole aviary full of them if I had the time and money, so it's not like I'd be forcing myself to take on a second one just for the sake of my current bird. But I do worry that I might get another one only for him to hate it, or for the new bird to hate him. And then I'd have to deal with TWO separately lonely birds. I'm also not sure I necessarily want another maroon bellied conure -- recently I met a female peach-fronted conure for sale and completely fell in love with her. But she's 1) a different species, so I'm not sure if that makes socialization between the two of them dangerous or difficult, and 2) she's female, so I'm guessing I'd have to keep them in separate cages forever (which of course I might have to do anyway, even if I get a male MBC). Would having a bird in a separate cage but in the same room even provide him any sense of companionship?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Getting a second parrot is always a crap shoot, typically with 1 of 3 out comes.
1 the new bird and old get along and still maintain the bond with you
2 the new bird and old one hate each other
3 the new bird and old bird get along and now you are the odd man out

You should always get a second parrot because YOU want one, not because you think your parrot needs a 'buddy' becasue that can backfire. And dont forget, a second parrot means 1/2 the time the old one got of 1 on 1 with you, 2x the feed, 2x the toys and 2x the vet bill.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This is a hard call . Firstly they would absolutely need separate cages as even burds that like each other have to really like each other to share a cage. And that can take a long time if ever.

When years ago I had my solo green cheek I had to play around with things that made him happy. Ended up being tv programs for toddlers as others kids shows were to violent. And I put a small fish tank infront of his cage abd he liked watching the fish.

As much as I like burds having friends. I think my advice is to wait till you are in your own place. It's just too much h fir right now

widor

Aug 23, 2021
Media
Hungary
Parrots
2 Green Check Conures,2 linolated parakeets- RIP, 2 kakariki
I would get him a friend for sure. So much time alone. There is a slight chance that they will not get along - but as he is quite young it will hopefully it would not happen. As for saying your bird will not want anything from you - that is not true . If you work hard on the relationship with them you can be still friends. One of my friend got a conure, he seemed fine but than she started plucking..etc. They got her a friend and they are non separateable now,so much happier.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Like stated above, ONLY ever get another bird if you want one for yourself and are ready to double the mess, noise, and time put into caring for them!
They might like each other but even then, I would keep them in separate cages unless they ABSOLUTELY NEED to be together.
If they don't like each other, I wouldn't even recommend keeping them in the same room.

widor

Aug 23, 2021
Media
Hungary
Parrots
2 Green Check Conures,2 linolated parakeets- RIP, 2 kakariki
Actually I do not
Like stated above, ONLY ever get another bird if you want one for yourself and are ready to double the mess, noise, and time put into caring for them!
They might like each other but even then, I would keep them in separate cages unless they ABSOLUTELY NEED to be together.
If they don't like each other, I wouldn't even recommend keeping them in the same room.
Actually I do not get this- why would you keep a bonded pair in separate cages? (same species). They need snuggle, peering not just outside the cage -in my opinion.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Actually I do not

Actually I do not get this- why would you keep a bonded pair in separate cages? (same species). They need snuggle, peering not just outside the cage -in my opinion.
By "birds that like each other" I meant that they will play outside the cage without any problems - of course a bonded pair can be housed together.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Actually I do not

They were bonded a green cheek female and a male quaker. He was a male quaker, very cage protective, he would drive her to the bottom if the cage and not let her up. While out of the cage they were a perfect couple, side by side, grooming each other, regurgitate to each other.

It's not uncommon for same species male/ female pair bonds to have trouble either. Often the male will bully the female or injured or even kill.

Every situation is different. And cage sharing is not often possible, or they can share sometimes but then have to be separated because of resource guarding or other.

I had 2 GCC females very devoted slept on top of each other. But every so often Ta-dah would bully, wouldn't let BTB get to food or water. So I had to cage side by side, and let them out together. They did well like that and after a break of week or month they very much wanted to sleep together in the same cage again. So I managed and was flexible on this.

Or you could have a situation like I have currently. 2 female quakers. Pikachu loves Penny, she very much wants to share a cage with Penny. Penny likes Pikachu, but doesn't want to share a cage with her at all !! They both regurgitate to each other. Spend time together out of the cage . And I've given them several chances to share a cage. But Penny gets very angry .

So there is not one solution that works for all. Cages are artificial , in nature pairs could move away. There are so few studies of parrots in the wild and how they manage their pair bond or anything behavior.

Most Reactions