GW Macaw makes cooing sounds

Pepper315

Aug 9, 2017
Maryland
Parrots
5-month Green-wing Macaw, Pepper
8-month Cockatiel, Speckles
My 5-month GW Macaw:red1: and I have been together for seventeen days. I have been noticing that she makes little cooing sounds or moans in the evening. Is this normal or could she be hurting? She has plenty of toys, a cage with a great view of the outdoors, fresh food/water, and time with me (after work of course).

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Is she eating, pooping and sleeping all normal? No other signs of a distressed parrot? My little Maxie (RIP) used to mummble to himself when the cage got covered. Give her a few extra head scratchies right before beddy bye time.

OP
P

Pepper315

Aug 9, 2017
Maryland
Parrots
Thanks for replying.

Yes, she's eating, pooping, and seems content. Her vet recommended caution with the head scratches, but I have been giving her some. I think my concern comes from just trying to learn her "normal" behavior.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
The only other thing I can think of is, is she fully weaned or is she asking for a feed from you? Babies usually drop the last feed of the day last.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
like Plum said it strikes m as asking for a feed. Or it could be attention seeking or even just a comfy relaxed bird babbling away to themselves

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My guess this is either an evening routine of expression or possibly a request for a "last call" bit of food?

OP
P

Pepper315

Aug 9, 2017
Maryland
Parrots
Thanks. I'll try a late night snack. She probably had a routine with the Breeder.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
try giving the breeder a call and ask what the routine was? It's easier to make progressive changes than one big upheaval

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw,green wing Macaw,goffins cockatoo,Congo African grey
My 8 year old b & g snores in his sleep and growls. My green wing is ten she blows air out of her mout loud when she's in a deep relaxation. I believe you're baby is just happy.

petwaitress

May 27, 2017
My 5 month old Catalina also makes cooing sounds. Sometimes she wants feeding, sometimes she's playing with her toys and cooing. But my favorite is when she cooes when we scratch her head. :red1:

Cthebird

Sep 19, 2017
East coast of USA
Parrots
I now have a young Hahn's macaw. I used to have a Pacific Parrotlet that lived until almost 15. Before that I had a budgie.
My husband and I just adopted a 5 month old Hahn's macaw, surely much smaller than your macaw, but the avian vet said our birdy is still considered to be a "baby". I'll admit he sure acts like a baby. He makes all kinds of vocalizations. During the day sometimes he'll make mini-squawks so frequently that I think he has hiccups. Other types it's just errr errr sound. Only when he's calling out does he make the big "traditional" loud squawk.

When we first adopted our guy he was good at "step up", but for some reason after the avian vet visit he became stubborn about it. If we are forced to grab him he makes a pathetic crying sound. Well, that's pretty much too bad! We don't hurt him, but he can't stay out all night long.

We have found that at night our Hahn's macaw makes different sounds that almost sound like human speaking practice. It's kind of crazy sounding. I get the feeling he is trying to somehow impress us into not covering his cage for the night.

Most Reactions

Latest posts