Half papalyzed amazon

zarafia

Super Moderator
Jan 22, 2008
I thought I would write this thread about an amazon I have who suffered a scary injury.
One day a few weeks ago I went to open the sliding glass door behind my parrots' cage. My bluefront amazon, Misty, attacked his mate, Angel, a mexican redheaded amazon. They were a pretty well bonded pair, Misty the male, Angel the hen. Misty has come into breeding season early this year and he was displaying displaced aggression. Angel fell onto the floor of their cage onto her back. I saw her fall and she could not get up.
I unlocked the cage and went to her and picked her up. She could not use one of her legs at all. It stayed pulled up behind her even though the rest of her seemed fine. I let her sit on the couch cusions for a while hoping she would get better, but she didn't. So after a couple hours I called the vet.
I took her in at 4:00 pm and Doc did four shots of x rays and everything looked fine, but she still couldn't stand up at all. Doc gave me some anti-inflamitory meds.
I started giving her the meds and keeping her in a large ceramic bowl filled with carefresh. For the first couple days she stayed in the bowl and ate her food. She had to be held up to drink several times a day, but had a good appetite. Eventually she started pulling herself out of the bowl and I had to put her into a cockatiel cage.
Now she is climbing all over that cage and getting some of her nastiness back. I am amazed at her recovery. She has almost gotten all of her use of her leg back and I am so happy.

Lori

Feb 26, 2008
Massachusettes
Parrots
1 Senegal Boo Boo
2 Tiels George, Sonney
1 Parakeet Pineapple
Sounds like there has been a lot of progress. Hoping for a full recovery.

OP
Z

zarafia

Super Moderator
Jan 22, 2008
Thanks Lori. I think she is diong much better a nd she has regained more than half of the use of that leg. I can safely say that at this point she has enough movement in it and mobility in general that she can lead a fairly normal life. And hopefully she will continue to get better.

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Very scary. So glad to hear she is doing so well. Hope she makes a full recovery.

cpip

May 9, 2008
strange....
i just took home a half paralyzed mexican red headed amazon named ANGEL from my pet store i work at in florida.. whos owner dropped her off there! its odd there would be more then one!?

Most Reactions

Latest posts