Hand anxiety

Mango1015

Sep 2, 2014
My 13 year old male lovebird has developed a seemingly sudden fear of hands over the last 2 months. He has always been very social and affectionate with the family, but will no longer step up. He flys away in fear when a hand approaches him, but is happy to step on someone's shoulder or head.
He sits on my shoulder for hours and is totally normal and affectionate, but the moment I lift my hand towards him, he startles and flies away. He is like this with the whole family.
We can't figure out what is causing this anxiety. My sister's lovebird (3yr old female) moved into the house 6 months ago, but the two of them have separate cages and have lived in the same house off and on for months at a time over the past 3 years. I really don't believe she is the cause.
Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this sudden anxiety or how to calm him down? I'm worried about my little boy.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I haven't yet experienced this with an older bird; he is certainly well past the age of maturity.

Perhaps you can experiment by using your hand as the delivery vehicle of special treats? Has anything else changed in his environment?

Not sure if a vet-check would be of assistance if this persists, assuming all else is normal.

Most Reactions

Latest posts