Hand raising baby parrots ( I advise against doing this!) Helpful links

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm going to add the helpful links to have all in one place. It seems to be that time of year again.

If you are thinking of getting an unweaned baby, please wait till they are fully weaned and eating on their own. It will not make a better pet bird. Many will die. It crushing to us regulars on the forum as many join with babies in trouble, many don't make it.

Unethical breeders sell unweaned babies for profit. It takes lots of time and resources to finish raising babies. They sell them to you to do the work. That way they can double clutch and raise more babies and try for bigger profits. They will tell you any load of crap to get your money.

If you have a baby with anything concerning you, any signs of being unwell take it to the avian vet immediately!

Ok, I'm going to add all tge articles I've collected to try and help little babies.

Warning graphic content
Warning i do not condone or advice home remedies!!! Seek veterinarian!!!! It is useful for explaining many common things that go wrong, with graphics.

Click this link , I've copied a post from a valuable member EllenD. She is sharing her knowledge with a past post from a member with a baby. Its great advice and most will apply to your baby

I disagree that anyone can just hand raise a baby bird without many issues , and life threatening things going wrong. As we have seen so many baby birds in trouble or who don't make it here. but this article proved much information guidance for baby birds.

Weaning, only by abundance, ( provide formula and allow baby to drop feedings while offering a variety of foods for them to start trying) never force weaned

Parrot life stages

Preening education for babies

General sick bird guidelines. Warmth is critical . But you should already be keeping your baby warm 90-95f

Last edited:
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I'm going to add the helpful links to have all in one place. It seems to be that time of year again.

If you are thinking of getting an unweaned baby, please wait till they are fully weaned and eating on their own. It will not make a better pet bird. Many will die. It crushing to us regulars on the forum as many join with babies in trouble, many don't make it.

If you have a baby with anything concerning you, any signs of being unwell take it to the avian vet immediately!

Ok, I'm going to add all tge articles I've collected to try and help little babies.
Holy cow, this thread is NEEDED!

@Terry57 @LaManuka @saxguy64 can you guys make this a sticky, at least for now?

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
More health issues when hand raising parrots.

Temperature is of the utmost importance, of environment , and of formula. Humidity as well.

Last edited:

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I'm against selling unweaned parrots too but it is very useful. Actually it may happen to each person who decides to breed parrots, even if we aren't going to hand raise them. I still remember how I was in such situation when suddenly I had to start looking a lot of information how to hand raise starting with knowledge near "0". Actually I had to learn everything during one day.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm against selling unweaned parrots too but it is very useful. Actually it may happen to each person who decides to breed parrots, even if we aren't going to hand raise them. I still remember how I was in such situation when suddenly I had to start looking a lot of information how to hand raise starting with knowledge near "0". Actually I had to learn everything during one day.
I hope it useful to have all the good links in one place. Because time is important when you've got a baby. We want all the little babies to live!

Most Reactions

Latest posts