Hand raising budgie @ 3 wks old?

BudgieBoy

Oct 5, 2020
Hi all,

I have recent decided to hand raise some of my new baby budgies from the aviary. This is not my first time hand raising a clutch, however. I have trouble making or feeding the feathery chicks eating from a syringe or spoon on day one.

I understand that they are not used to it and are looking for the mama. However, I am a bit worried as to how I'm going to feed these little guys without them starving. I hear them calling for food but constantly reject the liquidy formula I slowly feed them.

I see some YouTube videos that hold thechicks head in place as they slowly force feed formula into their mouths. How should I go about feeding these guys on day one as they are not happy to.be fed by syringe at the moment.

It has only been 6 hours from their last feed from their.mother. should I let them go longer before feeding them again by syringe? :greenyellow:. :confused:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
At 3 weeks, budgies are almost grown and will be past the fear stage. It may be too late to get them to accept/trust you. If humans haven't been handling them since they were very small, days old, then it is likely going to be unsuccessful raising the clutch of 3 weeks to completion. Normal times breeders take birds at 2 weeks, for budgies even a little bit earlier since they grow SO fast. They're usually flying by 4 weeks/eating all on their own so getting them used to humans early, starting at a few days old, is going to be key to get happy, trusting babies.

I would personally let the parents wean this 3 week old baby, and when you're ready again, take babies out that are much younger, 1-2 weeks old (IF you have all the proper equipment on hand and ready).

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Sorry, Jbean, but I disagree. No disrespect intended at all though. :) Every time I have purposefully hand raised budgies I started at 3 weeks. It is also what I was trained to do by my mentor in aviculture. Please do not try to hand feed a one or two week old budgie unless you KNOW what you are doing. They are simply too tiny and delicate.

3 weeks is a fine age to start, it is normal for them to be hesitent at first. May I ask why you want to hand feed, though? Generally speaking, the birds will be much healthier if parent raised. Depending on how your aviaty is set up, you could socialize the babies while letting Mom and Dad finish raising them. That is what we do with our budgies these days, and they turn out very friendly and curious, sweet, healthy, and mentally sound.

From phone please forgive typos.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
if non-hand reared budgies can be tamed, so can babies that young..not sur why you would want to do this, due to risks etc though.

OP
B

BudgieBoy

Oct 5, 2020
Sorry, Jbean, but I disagree. No disrespect intended at all though. :) Every time I have purposefully hand raised budgies I started at 3 weeks. It is also what I was trained to do by my mentor in aviculture. Please do not try to hand feed a one or two week old budgie unless you KNOW what you are doing. They are simply too tiny and delicate.

3 weeks is a fine age to start, it is normal for them to be hesitent at first. May I ask why you want to hand feed, though? Generally speaking, the birds will be much healthier if parent raised. Depending on how your aviaty is set up, you could socialize the babies while letting Mom and Dad finish raising them. That is what we do with our budgies these days, and they turn out very friendly and curious, sweet, healthy, and mentally sound.

From phone please forgive typos.

My budgie hen had a clutch if seven and it appeared as though she was struggling to distribute the food and nutrients evenly throughout the clutch. Hence, I decided to take out the two oldest chicks.

They look fine at the moment, however, their crops have emptied.
I have had three tries at syringe feeding them, but they seem reluctant to allow the needle under their beak. When I do get the needle under the beak, I don't think they are swallowing the formula, rather, letting it drop out of their mouths. I am a little worried, as I do hear them calling for food quietly.
:yellow2:
Will they accept the formula eventually?? :confused:

OP
B

BudgieBoy

Oct 5, 2020
At 3 weeks, budgies are almost grown and will be past the fear stage. It may be too late to get them to accept/trust you. If humans haven't been handling them since they were very small, days old, then it is likely going to be unsuccessful raising the clutch of 3 weeks to completion. Normal times breeders take birds at 2 weeks, for budgies even a little bit earlier since they grow SO fast. They're usually flying by 4 weeks/eating all on their own so getting them used to humans early, starting at a few days old, is going to be key to get happy, trusting babies.

I would personally let the parents wean this 3 week old baby, and when you're ready again, take babies out that are much younger, 1-2 weeks old (IF you have all the proper equipment on hand and ready).

Thanks, I'll certainly consider returning them to their hen, if they show now signs of eating the formula! I'll try syringe feeding them for 24hours, hoping for some sort of progress.:greenyellow:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You might want to just double check that it is safe to return them after an absence, I am not sure...but if they get to the point where they are sickly and they have been away for awhile, I am worried she might kill them (but I am not sure if that happens due to the theoretical scenario you described).

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
In my experience she would simply not feed them if she is going to reject them, or partly reject them, rather than attack them. Not to say a hen cannot turn aggressive on her brood, just that in my experience she is more likely to just neglect them than she is to try and kill them. The presence of younger chicks in the nest does further complicate the matter though.

OP, can you give us an update?

Most Reactions

Latest posts