Handfeeding Insight?

MeganV

Nov 13, 2020
Hello, my pet conures had their first clutch of 2 babies. They are currently 28 days old. I was doing the co parent approach to keep them tame so I can find them good homes. I wasn't able to hand feed at 2 week like I wanted to because of my job. I just found out I will be home for 2 weeks and can hand feed now. I know that at this age it is 3 feedings a day, 7am, 4pm, and 7pm. I have a brooder and can maintain temps. I also have formula. My question: will they take to it this late in the game? They are not afraid of me and they cuddle with me. I am just unsure they will take handfeeding now.... any insight?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, thanks for posing an interesting question! I do not know the answer, perhaps trial and error will be your guide, with varied results from each chick.

I can move your thread to our Breeding/Raising Parrots forum for more targeted assistance, though your clutch hasn't been neglected and not endangered of starving. Thus, I assume the answer is rooted in species behavior.

For handfeeding, please consider this helpful thread. Disregard the somewhat scolding tone as it applies to folks who breed and risk early rejection by parents. You may find valuable techniques to assist with co-parenting. http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/74363-so-you-bought-unweaned-baby.html

Most Reactions

Latest posts