Happy (Very) Belated 5th Hatchday, Maya!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
HAPPY 5TH HATCHDAY, LADY MAYA!!!

CoHvrHC.jpg

While I'm not certain of my Red and purple Diva's exact birthdate, as she was a rehome, by doing the math from her former parront's posts I calculated that she was born somewhere around the end of February, 2013. And she became a part of our household September 1, 2014. So we usually celebrate her hatchday on February 28th.

Unfortunately for her, this is close to one of my son's birthdays, which falls on the 24th. So this year we got so carried away that we completely forgot to celebrate hers! D'oh!

Anyhow, I just want to wish my beautiful Maya a very happy hatchday! Almost four years ago, one of the members here (BreakinNewz) found that he had to rehome his beautiful female eclectus (she was named Athena at the time) and offered her to me free of charge (along with a tree stand). He was only interested in making sure that she went to a good home. (Thanks again, John!)

At the time, the though of having a second bird had not even occurred to me. I was already quite happy with Bixby. But I agreed to meet her and see if we connected. And as you might imagine, boy did we! It was very much love at first sight. I took her that very day and we've been inseparable ever since! Loved the name Athena, but somehow she looked more like a Maya to me. Thankfully, she didn't seem to mind the name change.

Here's the link to my very first thread about her arrival for anyone who might feel like taking a peek: http://www.parrotforums.com/eclectus/47678-meet-mrs-bixby.html

Looking back at that thread, as well as a few from her early days in my household, it's amazing how much progress she has made! I mean, some things are the same. She still has not gotten over her apprehension of flying, and resolutely refuses to do so unless either startled (which she rarely ever is) or has grown impatient enough with waiting for me to come her way that she has decided to take matters into her own... feet (which has only happened 2x in the 4 years she has been with me).

But quite a few things have! She used to be quick to bite if you didn't immediately figure out what she wanted (it was usually my poor wife on the receiving end of that razor sharp beak). Now she gently beaks you if there's something she's trying to express that you're just not getting.

And she used to have an insane fear of brooms! Like a deathly, primal fear. if we came within 6 feet of her with a broom in hand she would absolutely lose her mind! But with time and patience, we eventually got her past this phobia. Her was a photo I'd posted at the time once she had finally completely conquered that fear:
qKQjcsr.jpg

Yep. That's her perched on a broom stick! It's the proudest of her I'd ever been.

She's also since learned to wear a harness:
JjYDX4B.jpg

Engage in acrobatics:
[ame="https://youtu.be/MzxPW9Xd6YM"]Mayan Acrobatics - YouTube[/ame]

Mess with her Daddy:
[ame="https://youtu.be/htMxgQtYk3Q"]Messing with Daddy - YouTube[/ame]

And trick her Daddy:
[ame="https://youtu.be/JvuB3-AYGuw"]Tricky Maya - YouTube[/ame]​

Yeah, I've just basically been looking back over old pics and videos of my sweet girl. It's amazing how some of the best gifts in life turn out to be the ones we weren't even looking for... or knew we needed. Couldn't picture our household without our little red-headed diva.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
a8Mn4dl.jpg

"Happy Hatchday, Miss Thang! If you wanna party, here'z a hat!"

She's so beautiful, Anansi. Yes, sometimes the greatest gifts find US!
Thank you for sharing her with us.
And as always... THOSE COLORS!

My fave... Mayan acrobatics!

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Happy Hatch Day Maya!!!

Loved the sweet videos - She reminds me of my own diva Bella,
especially when she snuck up your arm during trick training! Crafty!

Her little face when perched on that 'scary' broom - In my mind, I imagined her being equally proud and thinking something along the lines of "look at me daddy!"

I'm sure you don't need to be told - but - you have been truly blessed with a beautiful, funny, intelligent little girl, but I guess she's more of a little woman now, they grow up so fast!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
A Very Happy (Hatchday) Birthday Maya!
Although, it may have been missed by a couple of days, we all Love you, Sweet Lady!

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Awww happy hatch day to you, happy hatch day to you, happy hatch day dear Maya, happy hatch day to you x

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Happy Hatchday Maya!!
I feel like it's my own hatchday with the gift of so many beautiful pics and videos!

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
a8Mn4dl.jpg

"Happy Hatchday, Miss Thang! If you wanna party, here'z a hat!"

She's so beautiful, Anansi. Yes, sometimes the greatest gifts find US!
Thank you for sharing her with us.
And as always... THOSE COLORS!

My fave... Mayan acrobatics!

Thank you, Abigail!

Oh yeah, that Mayan Acrobatics video is one of my favorites as well! I remember forcing myself not to be all over-protective with her when she was just hanging like that. Seemed like she could slip at any moment, and it was the first time I'd seen her doing that. But, as with all kids, sometimes you have to force yourself to take your hands off the wheel and give them space to breathe. But it was HARD! Lol!

Aw maya, you sweet lil devil. Happiest of hatch days :)

Thanks, Chris! She does seem to be enjoying her belated birthday week. (Yeah, week. Had to make up for missing it on the day. Lol!)

Happy Hatch Day Maya!!!

Loved the sweet videos - She reminds me of my own diva Bella,
especially when she snuck up your arm during trick training! Crafty!

Her little face when perched on that 'scary' broom - In my mind, I imagined her being equally proud and thinking something along the lines of "look at me daddy!"

I'm sure you don't need to be told - but - you have been truly blessed with a beautiful, funny, intelligent little girl, but I guess she's more of a little woman now, they grow up so fast!

Hahaha! Bella is a trickster, too? Maybe it's a female ekkie thing. Is Bella also deceptively fast?

Oh, yes. She definitely seemed proud when she conquered her broom fear! And we put a lot of work into that moment, so she deserved every moment of pride over her accomplishment.

"Blessed" is definitely the word. She is nothing short of amazing. Love that little diva!

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Happy hatch day!!!!!! :D xoxo

Thank you, Katie!

A Very Happy (Hatchday) Birthday Maya!
Although, it may have been missed by a couple of days, we all Love you, Sweet Lady!

Thanks, Steven! Maya was quite enamored with the color choices of your birthday lettering. She deeply appreciated the nod to her plumage.

Awww happy hatch day to you, happy hatch day to you, happy hatch day dear Maya, happy hatch day to you x

Maya always loves it when people (or avians) break out in song, so she thanks you for your birthday tune!

Happy Hatch day! Wow... what a beauty!!

Knowing Maya, she'd just say, "I know, darling. I know." Hahaha! Such a Diva! So I'll just thank you on her behalf. Lol!

Happy Hatchday Maya!!
I feel like it's my own hatchday with the gift of so many beautiful pics and videos!

Thank you, Terr! Yeah, I felt much the same way looking back over so many of her older pics and videos. I only posted a few, but it was amazing looking back and seeing how much she has grown and matured over the years.

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Happy belated hatchway Maya! You are a stunning young lady bird. Jolly is a lucky guy;)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
A deep felt thanks for noting the colors! Blues are especially difficult for me to choose between, so I was very happy to hear that it had come out the way I had intended!

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Hahaha! Bella is a trickster, too? Maybe it's a female ekkie thing. Is Bella also deceptively fast?

Bella is definitely a trickster! She learns all my ways so she can manipulate me :D She's kinda clingy and has a tendency to land on my head in an attempt to avoid being relocated. Bella can go from 0-60 in the blink of an eye! She's such a strong flyer now too. Just the other night, my partner and I were sat next to eachother talking when Bella zoomed through the tiny gap between us with a banking turn!

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Happy belated hatchway Maya! You are a stunning young lady bird. Jolly is a lucky guy;)

Thanks, April!

Hahaha! Yeah, poor Jolly would be a lucky guy... if Maya would give him the time of day! Poor guy has been "friend-zoned" HARD! For whatever reason, Bixby was more her type. Perhaps she has a thing for Red-sided ekkies.

A deep felt thanks for noting the colors! Blues are especially difficult for me to choose between, so I was very happy to hear that it had come out the way I had intended!

Your efforts were not in vain, good sir. The colors were quite pleasing to Her Majesty.

Bella is definitely a trickster! She learns all my ways so she can manipulate me :D She's kinda clingy and has a tendency to land on my head in an attempt to avoid being relocated. Bella can go from 0-60 in the blink of an eye! She's such a strong flyer now too. Just the other night, my partner and I were sat next to eachother talking when Bella zoomed through the tiny gap between us with a banking turn!

A tricky flier?!? Lethal combo! I still haven't managed to get my poor Maya past her fear of flying. Maybe we'll have to get her and Bella talking...

Most Reactions

Latest posts