Harness or carrier?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
What is the better option for taking a sun conure outside and why?

I am interested in training my Conure to use a harness for the next year but am concerned about the following.

1. Her age. Is she too old ?

2. Predictors and animals. If I go for a walk with a harnessed sun conure will I have to worry about something swooping down To eat her.

3. My eyesight is not very good so I worry I would not see any potential predators.

Solanyx

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
female Sun Conure
What is the better option for taking a sun conure outside and why?

I am interested in training my Conure to use a harness for the next year but am concerned about the following.

1. Her age. Is she too old ?

2. Predictors and animals. If I go for a walk with a harnessed sun conure will I have to worry about something swooping down To eat her.

3. My eyesight is not very good so I worry I would not see any potential predators.
Harness training is definitely a commitment and takes quite a bit of time. If you have the money for both I'd get both so you can take your bird out now with no training and then work towards the harness. It's good to have a carrier for the vet anyway.

No bird is ever too old to be trained but if they weren't touch desensitized from young or even just currently touch desensitized it will be more difficult.

As far as predators go, just be aware of your surroundings. Raptors will often do calls (screams/squawks) when they're in the area. If your bird is on you it's very unlikely that a hawk or eagle will swoop down and try to snatch it. You can always try going to an area where there are less predators. I live right by a protected bird sanctuary forest so I try to travel to have my bird out.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Harness training is the more worthwhile one, but the one that can take the most time, by far. It took me a whole year to get Salty OK with putting it on and foo and not spend the whole time trying to chew thru it. We still practice it a few times a week even if we are not going out. It is really worth it, but having a travel carrier is also very useful as has been said, for vet trips and long car drives too. As far as being safe if he is on your shoulder, there is a video of a cockatoo on the trainers shoulder in the middle of a bird show in FLorida, and some raptor tried to grab the 'too right off the guys shoulder. You just have to be wary of your surroundings.

Most Reactions

Latest posts