Harrisons Bird Bread

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
Gloria, BFA, adopted on Jan. 9, 2016 when she was 30 years old
. Her mom went to a nursing home.
Also have 2 cats (Rangerand Luna) and a 24 year old aquatic turtle, named Elvis.
Just bought this for the first time for my BFA. Any pointers on what to add to it, if anything? Should I just make it according to the directions? Also--should I use 2 whole eggs as suggested or omit a yoke? Which oils are best for baking bird bread? This suggests red palm oil.

Thanks for any suggestions.:green:

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
Use the whole egg shell and all.
I use either red palm or coconut oil.

My fids like the from scratch bread I make which also contains Harrisons pellets. I bought original and pepper bread mixes. My grey just ground it up and the U2 tasted it and then refused to touch it.

OP
kozykitty

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
Gloria, BFA, adopted on Jan. 9, 2016 when she was 30 years old
. Her mom went to a nursing home.
Also have 2 cats (Rangerand Luna) and a 24 year old aquatic turtle, named Elvis.
She's not a fan of their pellets. She loves Zupreme fruit pellets. I'd prefer she ate the natural ones but after 30 years on a seed diet, I was happy to get her on any pellets. She loves bread though. I was wondering if mashed sweet potato mixed in would be worthwhile.

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
She's not a fan of their pellets. She loves Zupreme fruit pellets. I'd prefer she ate the natural ones but after 30 years on a seed diet, I was happy to get her on any pellets. She loves bread though. I was wondering if mashed sweet potato mixed in would be worthwhile.

Try it!
I add sweet potato, ground nuts, almond butter, various seeds like chia and ground flax, chop(my bread is normally green from the veggies), cooked beans, various fruits it just depends on what I have on hand. The base is a basic cornbread recipe without the sugar or salt(I never put sugar in my cornbread anyway) using ground Harrisons pellets instead of the AP flour, 1/3 of the baking powder, twice the eggs called for with shells, and Greymanor herbal tea(Hormone Havoc) instead of milk or water.

Whatever you put in make sure the batter has enough moisture to be at least like cake batter or a little more fluid.

Have fun and experiment. If whatever you are adding is on the safe list go for it.

Most Reactions