Harrison's High Potency vs. Zupreem

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
Conure: Edward Van Halen (Hatched 03.2022)
I have been seeing some negative posts about Zupreem food.
I have two conure babies that have been eating Zupreem. I am considering transitioning to Harrison's High Potency. There is a fine and a course variety....I am confused which to choose or if I should transition at all.
I would greatly appreciate comments and advice.
Thanks....Lori, Eddie & Sophia

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I have two conure babies that have been eating Zupreem. I am considering transitioning to Harrison's High Potency. There is a fine and a course variety....I am confused which to choose or if I should transition at all.
There is no such thing as a perfect pellet. They all have their good and bad. I would stay away from any that have artificial flavors, dyes, high in sugar, and high in salt. The best pellet for your parrot is the one that it will eat. The main thing to make sure of is that you are feeding a balanced diet with fruit, veggies, sprouts, grains, and some high-quality seeds.

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Read the ingredients list. Sugar and processed / artificial ingredients for color or flavor do not belong in the daily diet. If these are found in the first handful of the ingredients, itā€™s junk food.

Corn ā€œmealā€, for example- did they just sweep the floor at a corn processing plant and throw it in the bag? šŸ˜… No thanks! Not spending my hard earned money on that! (Why not use the whole grain?)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
To the OP, I have fed my birds Zupreme for almost a decade and my flock is thriving. Pellets are a personal choice we make for our birds and if you want to switch I recommend switching slowly.

I often use corn meal to make birdie bread. Also eat our own cornbread with it.

I agree completely with @LoveOfallAnimals . The best pellet is the one your bird will eat. We tried to transition to Harrisons once, and one bird out of the 32 we had then would touch it. We tried and tried as i had bought a 40 pound bag but they stopped eating.
That is not worth wasting my money, and more Importantly their health on.

There isn't only one correct way to feed our birds other than the fresh veggies they need no matter what pellet you use.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Harrisons is considered to be a higher quality parrot pellet, but as has been said, the best one is the one your parrot will eat. CHanging over to a new pellet should be done gradually, slowly reducing one and increasing the other over a period of a few weeks. Parrots WILL starve themselves if they are given a hard transition to a new food. Might be easier for you with babies.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
The only hard rule I have about pellets is that I wonā€™t feed pellets with artificial colors or dyes. They cover up changes in the droppings and make them stain carpet and clothes much worse.

My Lucy was on zupreem natural for almost two decades. Brought Willow home and could only get him to eat Harrisonā€™s high potency pellets (from an original seed diet). Jasper mainly eats Zupreem naturals but will suck down any extras that Willow wonā€™t eat. Besides they get a bit of seed as treat, some avicake, vegetables and fruit.

If they made people B pellets I would probably eat them as Iā€™m not so good about getting a balanced diet. I think pellets help people get most of the right nutrients into their parrots.

OP
lgallagher

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
So I purchased some Harrison's Fine and started mixing it in with their pellets and sprinkling some over their fruits and veggies. I guess they are eating it it's hard to tell lol.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
So I purchased some Harrison's Fine and started mixing it in with their pellets and sprinkling some over their fruits and veggies. I guess they are eating it it's hard to tell lol.
I'm sure they are probably getting some of it in them. My amazon would not eat Harrisons but will eat Roudybush. I weigh my birds weekly in order to know that they are consuming enough food.

OP
lgallagher

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
What type of scale do you use and how do you know how much they should weigh?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What type of scale do you use and how do you know how much they should weigh?
You can get a kitchen scale that weighs in grams (g) and not ounces. Ounces is too big a unit for weighing small birds.

There are charts online giving average weights for parrots.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
When I got my first scale, I was told the rule of thumb was to find one that can measure to a tenth of a gram, and has a wide enough base to hold a T stand or other perch! Make sure to tare out the perch of course!

I was also told that the weight lists online arenā€™t bad, but a lot depends on your birds size and body type. For Kirby a healthy weight, according to his vet, is about 480g, but the average weight for an OWA is MUCH lower. Itā€™s something I struggled with - I was so worried he was still overweight, but itā€™s about their body feel! You can check their keel and see how much meat theyā€™ve got in that area, etc. Your vet can likely give you a hands on guide on how to gauge a healthy body shape & size. Flighted birds will have more musculature and may weigh more and feel different than a sedentary bird.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
When I got my first scale, I was told the rule of thumb was to find one that can measure to a tenth of a gram, and has a wide enough base to hold a T stand or other perch! Make sure to tare out the perch of course!

I was also told that the weight lists online arenā€™t bad, but a lot depends on your birds size and body type. For Kirby a healthy weight, according to his vet, is about 480g, but the average weight for an OWA is MUCH lower. Itā€™s something I struggled with - I was so worried he was still overweight, but itā€™s about their body feel! You can check their keel and see how much meat theyā€™ve got in that area, etc. Your vet can likely give you a hands on guide on how to gauge a healthy body shape & size. Flighted birds will have more musculature and may weigh more and feel different than a sedentary bird.
This is absolutely correct.

The online lists can give you a general idea of how much your bird should weigh, but it would be better to have your bird weighed at the vets office when it is at a good weight and refer back to that.

Your vet might also show you how to feel your birds chest muscle to determine if the bird is too thin or too heavy. If you can feel the keelbone very sharply underneath the muscles, your bird is too thin. If you can barely feel it or canā€™t feel it at all, your bird is too fat (more like a broiler chicken than an active parrot).

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
The important thing is to weigh them at least weekly and look for changes in weight, If you weigh often you'll be accustomed to their normal weight variations, like before and after morning poop etc. Drastic changes from that or a downward trend are cause for a vet visit.

Most food scales will work and homemade perches are simple to make.

parrotscale.jpg

Most Reactions