Have Budgie, will NOT work for food šŸ˜‘

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Hello Friends,

Since I got Cozy 4 months ago, I have yet to find a ā€œtreatā€ that will consistently motivate her to participate in training. Is it possible that some birds are just not food motivated? What other non-food things can I offer when trying to train except praise? That gets me one attempt from her if Iā€™m lucky lol. Or does anyone else have a particularly unique food item they use for their bird? Iā€™ve tried all the regulars (millet - which Iā€™m allergic to so canā€™t use that anymore, treat sticks, plain cheerios, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, bird bread - I have the most succes with this but itā€™s hard to train using it because she doesnā€™t quite know how to eat it if itā€™s not in a sizeable chunk, her favorite veggies, apple pieces, almondsā€¦.).

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
try broccoli. They love the florets. Leave some in cage every day for a week then stop and offer by hand. Also check out the sticky thread by reeb on the budgie bulletin board.

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
try broccoli. They love the florets. Leave some in cage every day for a week then stop and offer by hand. Also check out the sticky thread by reeb on the budgie bulletin board.

Cool, thank you!!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I read that some birds who arenā€™t food motivated may be overeating or being fed a bit too well. (Although how you decide that i donā€™t know.) and you may need to reduce their food or itā€™s richness a bit.

Iā€™m not sure about this advice but have also been looking for some food treat that will motivate Willow. Heā€™s eating high potency pellets so this idea sounded sort of reasonable. I have no idea if itā€™s reasonable for your budgie and couldnā€™t suggest you to do this or not.

Most Reactions

Latest posts