Have lots of feathers? Here's a SUPER EASY (and cheap) DIY anyone can do!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I have been redecorating but with very very little money to do so, I've just been trying to use what I have in new ways. I had 2 11x14 frames (both from dollar tree, so nothing fancy or expensive there) that held art that no longer went with our new decor. In one I plan to put the portrait I drew of Kiwi and was kind of und=sure what to put in the other. Then it dawned on me- I had a crapload of beautiful feathers from the butt and wing of the mini t-rex:p Using a black poster board I found in the attic, I arranged a nice assortment of feathers to display, used a tiny dab of hot glue to attach them then cut a mat out of a scrap of mat board (you could use white poster board too or buy a pre made mat). It actually is a beautiful display piece and won't compete with the portrait of Kiwi, more compliment it:) For folks with multiple bids, I could see using various sized frames (since feathers are various sizes) to frame the feathers of each bird then do a display 'gallery' of them:)

attachment.php

Now I just have to figure out what to do with all of these:eek:

attachment.php

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
That is positively gorgeous!

dregarciatat2

Nov 4, 2018
Because I have a very large flock... I get many different feathers and lengths.. and this is definitely not an easy DIY project like those beautiful picture frames, but I figured I’d share here :)

2835e7781e609d32d9ae1a02df374799.jpg

Beautiful headdresses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
Those are definitely better than what I do with mine I must say. I just have a little glass tea light floater bowl I put all the pretty ones they drop in. Although I may have to try your idea, April. It is gorgeous!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Another use is to create a dream catcher. All of ours go to a Native America who creates them. Truly beautiful.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Another use is to create a dream catcher. All of ours go to a Native America who creates them. Truly beautiful.

A neat idea for those in the US or other areas of the world where they have indigenous populations who use feathers in their traditional arts.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
April, your DIY projects are always amazing, thanks for sharing. I love the bold colors in Amazon feathers.

Beautiful headdress, dregarciatat2.

A dream catcher with parrot feathers is also a great idea.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Because I have a very large flock... I get many different feathers and lengths.. and this is definitely not an easy DIY project like those beautiful picture frames, but I figured I’d share here :)

2835e7781e609d32d9ae1a02df374799.jpg

Beautiful headdresses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is stunning! Definitely don't have the right grouping of parrots to make something like that. Amazon feathers are all pretty uniform in size (the pretty wing and tails, I mean).

Most Reactions

Latest posts