Have some chop!!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
So this is a batch of chop around our house! This will last a couple months though. Excuse my messy kitchen, this takes quite a few hours to do. Now I have to bag and freeze it but I get to sit down for the bagging, thank god! I will also put some in the dehydrator and make cracker like snacks. By the way that bowl is so big I have to wash and rinse it over the tub and I have a pretty big kitchen sink.
IMG_4955_zps862b7432.jpg

IMG_4954_zpsf669d1e0.jpg

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
That's a lot of chop mix! Wow! Lucky flock you have though. What all is in your mix?

I can just picture you washing that great big bowl in the tub lol:). I hose my really big bowl outside. Bring out the dish soap and everything (don't use it that much thankfully).

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
It has, all organic;
Red chard
Kale
Cilantro
Beets plus some beet greens
Carrots plus tops
Red Cabbage
Cauliflower
Fennel bulb plus tops
Yellow Squash
Broccoli
Zucchini
Ginger
Watercress
Parsnips
Radishes
Peppers- red, orange, yellow plus red pepper flakes
coconut flakes (unsweetened of course)
flax seed
hemp seed
crushed pumpkin seeds
Calendula dried flowers
Hibiscus dried flowers
Chamomile dried flowers
Rosehips
Chia seed
Wheat-grass powder
That "Herb Salad" purchased from My safe bird store
Barley
Orzo pasta
Black rice
Long grain red rice
Mung Beans
Lentil Beans
Quinoa

I think that's it....Just bagged it, turns out it's only about a month and a half worth of chop! Well at least the good farmer's market finds should be starting soon.

It's not always exactly the same but it always has a good variety.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Thanks for sharing, Laura! Quite a powerful list of ingredients you have there! April is right. That truly is one lucky flock.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What an awesome chop! I am going to add some of those ingredients to mine, thank you for the new ideas!

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
That's an impressive list of ingredients! Thanks for sharing!

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I should also say that to this I also add something fresh each day, whatever I might have on hand. It could be peas and celery (celery does NOT freeze well) so I always add that fresh. Or it could be mango and blueberries, grapes or pomegranates or dragon fruit, pineapple, apples or kiwi. Once a week or two I will cook up eggs with the shell and add that. I might cook up some sweet potatoes or butternut squash. It changes the flavor slightly and I think it keeps the birds from getting bored with the base chop. I really have to make the base in these huge batches and freeze a good amount or I would be in the kitchen all day long. ;)

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Wow! Impressive. I guess with you having all those Eclectus, top quality chop with wide variety is not just good, it's mandatory! Good thing you love doing it :)

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Wow! Impressive. I guess with you having all those Eclectus, top quality chop with wide variety is not just good, it's mandatory! Good thing you love doing it :)

Lol well I don't love making it but I love that it is so good for everyone. ;)
I typically make all the cooked stuff the night before. Then the next day I go to the market to shop for what is fresh and looks good. I could kiss whoever it was that invented the food processor. I have a large one and a smaller one and I use them both while doing this. I can't even imagine what it would be like to chop all this by hand! :eek:

Most Reactions