Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Holy Moly! Are you serious?! I just posted this same kind of behavior about my umbrella cockatoo on a different forum, lets see if I can bring it up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D0BmKgsYq0]My Project - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Lindylou277

Lindylou277

May 3, 2012
FL & NH
Parrots
Coqui, 9 yr old female B/G Macaw
Holy Moly! Are you serious?! I just posted this same kind of behavior about my umbrella cockatoo on a different forum, lets see if I can bring it up.

My Project - YouTube

That is one big coincidence ! Is that new behavior or something he has been doing and you just caught it on camera?:30:
It clearly is a contented behavior!:D

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Amigo is free, during the day, to fly outside and I think this contributes to his natural tendencies. I've seen him do this outside, on his tree. To me, this might mean tapping a noise to make sure, all that can hear, knows he is there and just...knows he is there, don't mess with me. In your home environment, I can't say for sure but would guess it is Coqui doing something that feels natural to him and maybe just a bit uncomfortable about someone in his area.
Amigo was seeing himself in the wall mirror, in that room. I think this is what got him going.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
The video won't play for me, Linda. :( Is anybody else having problems with it???

I watched Mare's video, and I've never seen any of my fids do this.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Both videos playing for me. Linda's takes you to youtubes website but on the 'mobile' version.

Here's the direct link for desktop version :)

[ame=http://youtu.be/CkvpcdGkcDQ]Coqui foot slapping - YouTube[/ame]

Merlin does this against the side of his cage (splayed leg, so can't stand up and just do it). We see it as him rattling his bars saying "let me out mummy" but that's not always the case, sometimes he just appears to like the noise and he's playing with something at the same time.

Who knows?

Mare's answer seems a good idea - especially for Amigo, but I don't think that's the case for Merlin. :)

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Tried to find a video of Merlin doing it on my own youtube channel but apparently we don't video him when he's IN the cage! (Which is the only time he does it!)

Will get one asap :)

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
Sometimes the Internet can be a bad thing! The first references I found to foot tapping were scarry, as I delved further into the possibilities, they became confusing, finally, it all came down to 'What else is going on'.

I did a very quick search on foot tapping and foot slapping, etc. The range of possibilities is rediculous, everything from trying to get your attention or demonstrating dominance (usually when they feel threatened) to calcium deficiencies and ending with some fairly serious viral infections.

Throughout the search it appears that you need to look at everything else about your fid at the same time. If he (or she) does this when you are in another room and stops when you show up it could simply be trying to get your attention. It is done along with other symptoms, like foot & leg biting/chewing, it could be much more serious.

As with all things parrot, if it appears that your bird is otherwise healthy and the behavior starts or stops with a known occurance (strangers in the house, you stop to pay them attention, their food bowl is empty, etc) then the best course of action would be to keep an eye on it.

If it is accompanied by changes in the droppings, odd wing flaping, other strange behaviors, loss of appetite, etc. then a visit to the vet might be in order.

It's all about paying attention to the details.

Forbey

Once again, I learned an lot just by trying to answer someone else's question.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I've seen a few birds doing this on video. All of them seemed happy and healthy. I think Forbey gave you some good advice and just keep an eye on what's going on when he does it. He is probably fine and just likes to do it, but it never hurts to be cautious about behavior you haven't seen before.

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
I've actually just noticed my YNA Violet doing this! It was a bit concerning as I thought maybe a spasm? Then I wondered if it had anything to do with the sore area around her foot where I had just had her leg band removed as it was starting to cause her irritation. I've seen her do it three maybe four times and all pretty recently, but she seemed fine otherwise, so I chalked it up to the band issue...

Interesting for sure.

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
She chalked it up to a band issue ...

"Well Dick, I give it a 7, I can't understand the words, but it's got a great beat!"
For those of you too young to know, that was and American Band Stand refernece)

Then again, he could be a "Parrot-head!"

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
palm cockatoos do it to attract mates and to to establish territory :)

I guess that might be what Amigo is doing then?

I think Merlin's is just for attention, he does it all year around and like I said before, sometimes it's in play as he's grabbing at the toy he's holding and just ends up smacking the cage repeatedly instead and deciding that's more fun.

Or he'll do it when he wants to play out and I'm ignoring him. (Reminds me of a prisoner running a cup along his cage bars, mwahahah)

Most Reactions

Latest posts