Having a parrot choose you

Cstone01

Jun 13, 2019
Hello, we have a major mitchel and and alexandrian. I just put a deposit down for a golden called here this coming spring, Iā€™ve always had birds in my house. I was wondering if there is a way to make sure a new bird ā€œchoosesā€ you. Our alexandrine loves everyone like a lot of the parakeets. The major Mitchell though is Thoroughly my husbandā€™s bird- I had wanted one for a really long time and he was a gift from a longtime friend. Itā€™s fine and great that He loves Benjamin but he was supposed to be my bird! Lol.

He lets me move him ect but screams like I am going to murder him if I try to tuch him much more than that (unless the lights are dimmed some then I am allowed to scratch his head.

Is there anyway to make sure the golden is ā€œmy bird?ā€

I have no clear reason why he chose my husband so he did. The only thing I can think of is that the breeders husband spent a lot of time with him, I never saw her pick him up only her husband and when he put him in our car he cried.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
As you likely know, nothing is sure about parrots other then they have 2 wings and a beak. Very young parrots, like those who have not gone thru puberty, can switch their fav person post puberty. In the wild, they often reject the parent(s) and seek out a new fav. So a baby may love you at first then switch after puberty to your hubby or other person; and then again he may not. Also, as you know, even tho you are not the Fav, its possible to still have a working relationship with a parrot even though you aren't the fav.

Lots n Lots of the parrots favorite treat, given exclusively by you, can often be the ambassador to a working relationship with a parrot; they are ruled by their bellies!

Good luck with the new Golden, they are among my favorite species of parrots. Conures in general are like a mini version of macaws and share some of the traits of them; just be aware that most 'traits' are generalizations and that parrots are individuals and often a specific individual may exhibit some or none of the generalized 'traits'.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh boy... Parrots really have such individual personalities. They choose who they choose. There generally isn't any explanation of why they choose someone. It's certainly possible to build a relationship, but the choosing part is entirely on their terms. Is there any possibility of meeting this bird, or clutch mates before the final decision? That way you might see if any have a preference for you. Trick being, babies grow up, puberty happens, and sometimes their allegiance changes, much to the dismay of the once favorite person.

I totally understand the attraction for babies. That said, I've never had one. I always considered them above my skill set. I can work with a known issue or trait, as long as I have an idea of what it is and how that bird behaves with me. Being responsible for behavior issues during the formative period bis a responsibility I personally don't want. Except for the Budgies I had as a kid, all of mine have been rescue/rehomed adults. I like knowing what I'm getting with an established personality, and have been beyond lucky with mine.

So, simple answer, no. We can't force them to choose someone. We can however, create the best situation we're able to for success. Patience is your friend, and of course, bribery!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Birds can change. When we adopted a B&G, he was supposed to be my husbands bird. But he let me scratch his head, stepped up for me, and made it obvious I was number one. So I had to back off, not touch him, let husband be the one to feed, give treats, etc and now I am definitely ā€œnumber twoā€.

OP
C

Cstone01

Jun 13, 2019
all I know is that If my husband steals this bird also weā€™re going to definitely get in a fight lol. Obviously I just want the bird to be happy, it wonā€™t be a real argument. But I definitely still call the major major trader.

When I met my husband he said he didnā€™t understand pets or having an animal in your house. Now he takes the cockatoo to the hospital once a week when he has clinic days and heā€™s always has a Velcro bird on him eating things he has spilled in his beard. He Took the picture of our wedding off the back of his phone and put the bird sitting next to each other as his background. I canā€™t say Iā€™m not a little insulted lol.

Last edited:
OP
C

Cstone01

Jun 13, 2019
As you likely know, nothing is sure about parrots other then they have 2 wings and a beak. Very young parrots, like those who have not gone thru puberty, can switch their fav person post puberty. In the wild, they often reject the parent(s) and seek out a new fav. So a baby may love you at first then switch after puberty to your hubby or other person; and then again he may not. Also, as you know, even tho you are not the Fav, its possible to still have a working relationship with a parrot even though you aren't the fav.

Lots n Lots of the parrots favorite treat, given exclusively by you, can often be the ambassador to a working relationship with a parrot; they are ruled by their bellies!

Good luck with the new Golden, they are among my favorite species of parrots. Conures in general are like a mini version of macaws and share some of the traits of them; just be aware that most 'traits' are generalizations and that parrots are individuals and often a specific individual may exhibit some or none of the generalized 'traits'.
Well, everybody in our house loves those sesame balls with the peanuts inside them, Our boys freak out when they are in view we have to turn our back when we open the package

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
When I was looking for another bird (specifically a Blue Front) to add to Smokey the Timneh African Grey, I found a "breeder" in the back of Bird Talk magazine in my area so I went to visit. He had a huge flight cage with may 20 different flavor Amazon's,all about 4 months old. He told me "Let the bird choose you!"
Walk around the flight cage and watch their reaction. A couple ran from me,a couple lunged at the bar's,still a couple just ignored me..but there was this one who followed me around the cage,stepping over his brothers and sisters,would stop when I stopped..looked at me and moved his beak as I talked softly to him then would follow me again as I walked around the flight. The breeder said YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN! do you want to see him closer?
Of course I did! The guy put his hand in the flight and the bird stepped right up on his fist. I was sitting in a chair and the guy brought "Amy" to me,told me to out-stretch my arm making a fist and ask the bird to step-up which he did without hesitation. As I talked to the breeder the bird acted like he was listening to me. I lowered my arm and he sat on my leg. all of a sudden "Amy" lowered his head,I was a bit confused and the breeder said " he wants you to scratch his head" After about ten minutes of skritching, his head was laying sideways on my leg,eyes completely closed with his beakie half open like he was in estasy lol.
He came home with me that day...over 31 years ago. I can do anything with him. He is super bonded to me as I am with him..my best pal. Rather be with him then most people lol.

Jim

Most Reactions