Having trouble with my new bird

Zazusmom4411

Jan 25, 2017
Raymond, NH
Parrots
One sun conure named Zazu
Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and also new to bird ownership. I have wanted a conure my entire life and this weekend my husband got me a sun conure. His (or her) name is Zazu. I don't think Zazu was handled very nicely in the cage at the store. I know that it will take time to build up trust, but I am worried about an issue we are having. Zazu WILL NOT step up on my hand in the cage. If I put a "stick" in there, Zazu will step up on it, but I do not want to get into this habit. If I can coax Zazu onto the outside of the cage, he steps up fine. And once he is out, everything is perfect. Zazu definitely knows "step up" because he will do it every time I ask outside of the cage. It is just the getting him out of the cage that I am having trouble with. It takes me over an hour of coaxing/"ignoring" Zazu to get him to come out. I am not sure how to fix this fear of hands in the cage.

Does anyone have any advice?

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I think he just needs to get to know you a little more. Once he realizes good things happen with you, he won't be as suspicious.
Have you tried giving favorite treats from your hand when he is in the cage? Maybe to get him used to your hand reaching toward him, but it is something he wants.

I know this method also sounds silly but if i get the cold shoulder (if my bird doesn't want to taste something and is being a brat), i eat it right in front of him and share it with family or my dogs. I make it seem delicious, fun, social and like he is missing out. He usually approaches me at that point with curiosity to try some.

Do you know how old he or she is?

OP
Z

Zazusmom4411

Jan 25, 2017
Raymond, NH
Parrots
I have tried giving him his favorite treats from hand in the cage and he takes the treat and then hurries back into the corner. And I actually did get him out yesterday by eating an almond in front of him. But that didn't work today. He is 8 months old. I'm just confused as to why he trusts me outside of the cage, but not inside. I have been very calm and talk in a soothing voice and I don't make sudden moves. I don't think I've made any "threatening" gestures. I am so afraid that this problem is going to escalate.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Well, I am usually the voice for out-of-control birds, butttttttttttttttttttt................

I know many here have birds who are territorial in their cages and will only step up for a perch. The Rb is that way, once he's out of the cage, he is fully flighted and fearless, and a real handful. I have given up on a lot of things I used to think mattered a lot, so... in my humble opinion, it isn't a problem that worries me. :)

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Having Zazu in your home for just a few days casts a favorable light on the reticence to happily leave the cage. It can take a week or more for many birds to willfully leave their only security, and this is amplified if prior treatment was questionable.

May also be helpful to place a food source outside the cage when you desire to take him out. (in addition to using treats by hand)

A helpful link: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
Scott nailed it I think. He's scared. His home was his home for better or worse but now it's a NEW home and he had no input. The ONLY place that's his is the cage.

It's only been a week right? Give it time. Sounds like everything else is going super well. No need to push him on cage rights at this point!

And if you're right about being handled roughly handled, every time he was handled in the store it started when someone stuck a hand in his cage. He's probably been trained to HATE that.

My Conure loses his mind when I put my hand in his cage. So I just don't. I open his cage and let him come out on his terms. He'll come to the lip of the door and then I can pick him up no problems.

The way I see it: his cage is his and if he doesn't want me in there handling him then I don't need to be doing that. He'll come out willingly if I let him... I don't need to dominate him to the point that I can do anything he hates and he'll allow it.

Last edited:

Callimari

Jan 9, 2017
the great green Ontario Canada!
Parrots
Pumpkin (Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure)
Butter (Cockatiel)
Pineapple GCC
Maroon-Bellied Conure
I know mostly everyone has said it.. but... sounds like he's adjusting to his new home really well :)
Like JBassset said... His cage is his, but doesn't mean you can't go inside to change the food/water dish right? (and maybe a few treats don't hurt in the treat dish) when I was getting my budgies to get used to me being "there" I would slowly change their food/water dishes to show them I meant no harm... and also my hands meant good things inside and outside the cage.. (I did the same for Pumpkin(gcc)... took her a while to get used to the idea) Goodluck zazusmom! :)

OP
Z

Zazusmom4411

Jan 25, 2017
Raymond, NH
Parrots
He has absolutely no issue with me being in the cage other than him not wanting to step up.

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
Well, sounds like don't do that then. I mean if that's the limit it's a really easy one to live with.

And as time goes by and he trusts you he'll probably forget that limit anyway.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Your new darling as already better-behaved than my demon!

I meant to mention... I think it's wonderful that your dream came true. And you seem like a very loving, sincere person. I predict good things for you! Congratulations!

Most Reactions

Latest posts