He/She grinds its beak. Is cheese ok to give him?

Facex2

Nov 25, 2010
So my Jackie is grinding his beak. Its a grinding sould and he is grinding the bottom of his beak on the top.. WHY???

Cheese yes or no.. I know they need protien but I gave him some cheese is it going to hurt him??

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
its the milk in the cheese thats not great , but small amounts occasionally wont hurt~ I'm not sure why he is grinding his beak, hopefully someone else can chime in

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Fred grinds his beak a lot. I've read that it's just contentment when the bird is relaxing. It makes sense as Fred does it when he's getting ready to nap....

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Beak grinding is a very normal behavior. It is usually displayed when a bird is sleepy, relaxed or even just contentment.
Cheese in very small amounts 1 or 2 times a week is OK. Birds lack the the enzyme to digest milk products. I have know Parrots that were fed large amounts of cheese and needed surgery to have it removed from the crop and the intestines.

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
Beak grinding is part of digestion
we don't always hear it but all birds do it
the muscles used during beak grinding help stymilate and move the crop muscles and help digest the food

Hearing it is a good sign it means your bird is comfortable and relaxed and moving it more making the louder ( audile ) noise

Gongrats your in your way

Birds are lactose intolerant so just small amounts of anything such as cheese or yoghurts etc
other good sources of protien are chicken meat and bones
and nuts also ( just not peanuts )

Most Reactions