He talks!

whitney.phillips919

Feb 23, 2021
aa71848416460cfe1371ef17809e4668.jpg

This is my baby Byrd. I know they talk even if it’s bird language as I got him at 10 weeks old (he’s 10 months now) and you can’t help but notice they add new chirps to their vocab. He’s not super clear yet but I’m hopeful! The last few weeks he has a new one and I figured out he was mimicking me - 3-4 kissy sounds followed by “come here”. Adorable!

Also I have a question/asking for advice. He doesn’t look super healthy to me, am I wrong? I had thought forever the black spots on the feathers were from handling them so much and oils on your hands. I was told that isn’t true and it’s a deficiency? His main perch is on a window so he gets sun and I feed him 3 parts Harrison’s high potency pepper, 3 parts adult lifetime and one part zupreme fruit. He gets chop that consists of peppers, carrots, broccoli, Brussel sprouts twice a day but I can never tell how much he actually eats. I was feeding the soft food for awhile but I can’t find the one they liked anymore and the last I tried (birdy bistro) neither of my birds will touch. Ill throw a small handful of seen mix into a foraging box once a day and a couple of times a week I’ll give millet spray. I do have a supplement but I usually forget to use it. Should I be using it every time? How does he look to you all? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

whitney.phillips919

Feb 23, 2021
aa71848416460cfe1371ef17809e4668.jpg

This is my baby Byrd. I know they talk even if it’s bird language as I got him at 10 weeks old (he’s 10 months now) and you can’t help but notice they add new chirps to their vocab. He’s not super clear yet but I’m hopeful! The last few weeks he has a new one and I figured out he was mimicking me - 3-4 kissy sounds followed by “come here”. Adorable!

Also I have a question/asking for advice. He doesn’t look super healthy to me, am I wrong? I had thought forever the black spots on the feathers were from handling them so much and oils on your hands. I was told that isn’t true and it’s a deficiency? His main perch is on a window so he gets sun and I feed him 3 parts Harrison’s high potency pepper, 3 parts adult lifetime and one part zupreme fruit. He gets chop that consists of peppers, carrots, broccoli, Brussel sprouts twice a day but I can never tell how much he actually eats. I was feeding the soft food for awhile but I can’t find the one they liked anymore and the last I tried (birdy bistro) neither of my birds will touch. Ill throw a small handful of seen mix into a foraging box once a day and a couple of times a week I’ll give millet spray. I do have a supplement but I usually forget to use it. Should I be using it every time? How does he look to you all? Thank you!

Edited to add I gone him in August and he immediately had a check up at the avian vet and she had no concerns.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
FYI, carrots need to be cooked for him to digest them. Raw not good. I just found that out a few month ago.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
FYI, carrots need to be cooked for him to digest them. Raw not good. I just found that out a few month ago.
Nutritionally yeah, but in my case, raw ones make for good chew toys if nothing else :D I like to change it up, cooked, raw, whole, chopped, shredded, different shapes... My dinos definitely have preferences, as many do. It's a moving target though, so change is good, sometimes. It's fun getting to know their individual views on things, and seeing the looks I get if I prepare something "incorrectly."

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
awww so cute!!! So fun!!
His feathers don't look so bad. He might molt thrm out abd yiu will find he has stopped over preening. Once feathers are a little damaged, rgey stay thst way till the are shed and replace

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I just started giving my birds feather supplements. They get a vitamin D3 supplement already- the window blocks certain spectrums of light waves is my understanding and it’s better to have an open window- I have a screen in place when the weather is right. I just after giving mine feather supplements due to one over preening- she is now trying to go to the highest place and jumps trying to fly ������ good thing I have cushioned yoga mats and Pillows to land on- recently went and got more. Could the black on the feathers be stress bars from before you got her?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is always prudent to only add supplements 'IF' a blood test shows a need to add them. A balanced diet should not require additives!

I keeping seeing individuals state that Sunlight filtered by windows do not assure a full spectrum of light. Okay, that's true. BUT, I know of only a couple of individuals that know the answer to the questions: Define the location on an Avian where they have 'receptors' which create Vitamin D?

Back to the OP's question: Feathers on young Parrots rarely appear perfect as they are crashing about and are still working proper peening of their feathers. In addition, most young Parrots can use a good misting several times a week to encourage peening.

Not sure why you are adding 'zupreme fruit' as the other Harrison products are already a complete diet. The only thing you are adding is 'colored' pellets, which can be problematic as if your Parrot choose to eat only one color and any given day, you could find yourself running to the Vet with an extensive change in the color of the poop. I would recommend not feeding it.

NOTE: If you believe that something is Wrong With Your Parrot, visit your Avian Medical Professional, as Parrots are so very good at hiding their illnesses. Weight change is in many cases the only clear guide one has that their Parrot maybe ill.

Most Reactions

Latest posts