so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I got the results from my last echocardiogram.
Dr says my aortic stinosiss has gotten worse and needs fixing ASAP.
After loosing Jim I know I got to take action no matter how much I would like to imitate another bird, the ostrich and stick my head in the ground
Anyway 2 choices

open heart surgery and mechanical vale (and blood thinners for the rest of my life.
TAVR. Inserted through an artery in the groin and put in place similar to a stint.

plan on going with option 2.
the down side to TAVR is limited life expectancy (for the valve)
needs to be replaced in about 10 years.
a lot can happen in 10 years.
the horse my learn to sing.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh Wes, this is worrying news, but I'm so glad you have options and that you're not going to be like that long-legged flightless bird and stick your head in the sand! Sending healing vibes and every good wish for successful treatment, whichever option you choose - my hubby had a triple bypass, gee is it really 17 years ago now, so I am not unfamiliar with heart complaints and know how awfully worrying they are. Massive hugs from Aussie-land to you and yours, Wes, and much love being sent your way too 💖

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Yesterday I had my angiogram and got more than expected.
I had expected the catheter to be inserted in my upper inner thigh. Not so.
I would call it my pelvis not groin but it was just a little above my private parts but off center more near hip bone.

I had a stent installed while they were passing by.
My Dr warned me it might be nessisary.

insertion point is painful but I have to put up with it, no pain meds.
And my chest IS feeling strange. Like I got a large pill stuck in my throat. Best I can do as an example.
My Dr nurse s/b contacting me today about a separate follow up for the stent and the appointment with the other cardiologist. Will ask about the stuck pill feeling..

texsize

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Sending you my love and prayers Wes 🙏 I'm sorry this procedure has left you so uncomfortable, I hope they can find a fix for it and that you are feeling better soon 🤞🤞🤞

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh wow, having an incision and entry point in that spot with no pain meds would be quite difficult indeed :( Can you do a heat or ice pack? That sounds so uncomfortable. I hope the stuck pill feeling goes away soon too!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well Wes that sucks!!

There is just so much argument regarding whether heat or cold is better as near ever medical professional has a countering position. Having spent enough time in Waiting Rooms, I charted it and here is my two cents. If it is inflammation and/or muscle you will likely do better with cold. everything else is heat. But, I know more about mechanic stuff and will yield to anyone on the medical side.

Both my brothers have or had serious heart issues (I'm the milkman son) and they had numerous stents implanted. Never heard about the feeling of a pill stuck. So, no exposure to that issue.

Know that the Boat's household have you in our Prays good friend!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Wes, I'm so sorry to hear that you are having these issues. I'm so glad that you are being proactive, and I hope they can figure out why you are having that stuck pill feeling. Please let them know ASAP in case there is something wrong.
Sending all my prayers, and I know that somewhere Jim is smiling because you are taking care of this.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I got ahold of the nurse and they told me to come in for a quick EKG.

I got to talk wit the cardiologist and found out some things.

First I already knew before the angiogram I was getting bad heartburn. I had to ask the hospital nurses for some tums. Highly unusual because Prilosec Daly works well for me.

despite everything I think stomach acid went up my esophagus. I was stuck laying down and unable to move.
So what I am suffering from is not fatal it’s called esophagitis.
this also causes “chest pain” . How was I to know??

I finally got a second visit with Mr. Bird the CAG “not for sale”

The owner was there and we talked.
Turns out he is thinking of selling Mr. bird.

He did not say but I think business is down and he is thinking of getting out or needs to get out.

With all the medical costs I will have to pay I don’t see how I can rescue this beautiful bird.
the bottom of the cage was covered in old seed and bugs crawling around in it.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My valve replacement procedure is being scheduled for this Thursday.
Of the three options I am going with the least invasive procedure called TAVR.
The valve is inserted into an artery in the groin in a collapsed state and expanded when it reaches the proper position. Much the same procedure to put in a stent except for the minor detail:eek: of stopping my heart for a bit.

Of the other 2 options both would require open heart surgery with a heart lung bypass.
The only advantage of the open heart version is it has a slightly longer life span 12 years as opposed to 10 years with TAVR.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I just made it home after the valve replacement.
I am sure it was better than open heart surgery but…..
Not going to go into the details but it was far from painless

still recovering.
Wes.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh Wes, welcome back! I've been thinking about you and wondering how things went. Hugs to you, I wish you a quick recovery and hope you will be pain free very soon! 🙏🙏🙏🤞🤞🤞

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
So glad to hear the procedure is done and you’re recovering. I’m sorry it was likely a miserable experience but I hope it more than makes up for it in improved quality of life!

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
feeling a bit more recovered.
I still slept a lot today.
Last night I felt so cold it reminded me of Covid when I just could not get warm.

My wrist is a little painful. Part of the deal was to have what they call the "A line".
I believe it stands for Arterial line. It taps into the artery deep in the wrist and they leave it open like an IV. With this line they can monitor BP in real time. I did not know they could do that. But putting in the A line is a bit of a hit or miss deal and the misses are painful.

My actual insion site is only slightly painful. I have to make a point of remembering to be careful there.

Throat is the most painful point left. Wish I could have talked to the anesthesiologist afterword's.

The most painful thing was the Foley catheter.
I now have a new standard for pain comparison.
In the past I would have said the most painful thing Ever happened was a colonoscopy with insufficient medication.
If you ever seen "The Green Mile" Tom Hanks does an excellent job if acting how it feels to relive yourself after having one of those things removed..

Hope to start walking a little tomorrow and see how my stamina is. I think I feel a little stronger.

I should have gained some serious hit point for going through this. :LOL:

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Oof. I have Covid right now (it finally caught us after two years of dodging) and the chills are UNREAL. Get as much rest as you can, that sounds rough!

Haha, I had to get a camera-equipped catheter for a procedure checking for endometriosis and idk if a cystoscope is the same size but I cussed so hard I had to apologize to the nurse, who just laughed. I assume it was worse for you, but even so I’m pretty sure I’d rather have another kid than get another cystoscope!! At least for the kid they gave me an epidural. :ROFLMAO:

Looking forward to seeing more from you & your birds once you’re feeling better. Thanks for taking care of yourself! It can be really hard sometimes, especially when it’s painful and/or scary!

Most Reactions

Latest posts