Heard my parrotlet fall at 11:30 and was on bottom of the cage (new bird anxiety)

Instrinity

Feb 1, 2022
Parrots
Parrotlet
So I just bought my first bird 2 days ago first night he slept in his food bowl and I could here him chewing on food during the night, I presume this is okay just some midnight snacking, but tonight I heard him fluttwr his wings and I went to check on him and he was quietly sitting in the bottom of his cage, (I was originally checking cause I heard metal taping) his not a reliable climber and I'm worried he could get stuck at the bottom of his cage and not be able to climb back up through the night leading to sleeping problems

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Is he clipped by chance?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Try only covering three sides of the cage or installing a nightlight? Is he clipped?

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Kinda sounds like something I'm going through with my clipped budgie indigo he can't balance himself thus he is unsteady and sometimes accidently falls To the bottom of the cage and then just jumps back up onto his perch again the thing you gotta know about clipping is that It makes ur bird super unsteady

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
How old is your new bird?

When you got him what did his set up look like?

Sometimes young burds are afraid of all the new stuff. And young babies that haven't had perches might have a learning curve..

but it is concerning that he is not perching and having trouble climbing.

Is he popping often with plenty of fecal matter in poops? This is way to help tell he us eating enough.

OP
I

Instrinity

Feb 1, 2022
Parrots
Parrotlet
Kinda sounds like something I'm going through with my clipped budgie indigo he can't balance himself thus he is unsteady and sometimes accidently falls To the bottom of the cage and then just jumps back up onto his perch again the thing you gotta know about clipping is that It makes ur bird super unsteady
Yeah I only found out when I went to the house to purchase him, I personally don't like the practise, should I put a perch leading up from the bottom of his cage and he is in my bedroom, so how dark can a night like be πŸ˜…

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Yeah I only found out when I went to the house to purchase him, I personally don't like the practise, should I put a perch leading up from the bottom of his cage and he is in my bedroom, so how dark can a night like be πŸ˜…
Yup, do that and also give him a dim night light if you can. My budgies had night frights for a while and this helped them orient themselves in the dark.

Most Reactions

Latest posts