Heart Disease

Awnie

Nov 16, 2017
Hi

I just found out that my rescue B&G Macaw has significant heart disease. I had noticed a gradual decrease in his “spunk”, for lack of a better word, over the past month or two. He wasn’t climbing around as much and I noticed he didn’t really do his regular macaw lunge at some of the family. He also dropped some weight, which was ok, but I noticed it come off without too much trouble.

A trip to our Avian vet with a 3 night stay and a whole bunch of tests revealed an increase in yeast growth in his poops, a translucent appearance to his air sacs and lots and lots of plaques in his arteries.

He is only 2 years with me and we are not sure of his age at all. The vet is thinking maybe about 30 now that she sees his heart etc.

I am feeling awful. I have been feeding him well, I thought, with daily veggie chop, pellets and some nuts etc. He also enjoys some of our food...usually whole wheat pasta, eggs and other tastes off our plates (we are mainly vegetarian). I feel like I have done this but my vet reassures me that this was all long term disease that started years ago.

He is on medication now and we have definitely seen an improvement in his demeanour. He is more active and seems to have some spunk back.

I am wondering if anyone has some other suggestions of things I can do to support him. Diet changes or additions?

Thanks

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I know of several PF members that have birds with heart conditions and on meds.
I don't think they own macaws but the overall medicine and treatment I think would be similar.

Hopefully they will see this thread and respond.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hello, and welcome. I'm glad you found us, albeit under unhappy circumstances. Yes, my bird is on heart meds... just by chance, he has had a much luckier life than your darling. But he has this in common with the Rb: he is loved and is getting great care NOW.
My best advice? Follow the vet's directions. Do all the good stuff... toys, baths, healthy treats, stimulating environment, and most of all, love.
I know some other parronts who have birds battling heart disease. I'll pass this link along to them.
Meanwhile, I think you're wonderful, and I am sure your bird agrees.
Thank you for sharing this inspirational story. Please let us follow along!!

P.S.
Tex, thanks for flagging this thread for me.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As my good friends above has stated, more that a couple of us have or had Parrots that have suffered with Heart Disease.

I have lost two wonderful and loved Amazons to Heart Disease. Both came to us with the Disease and both had been on medication. The reality is that Heart Disease will kill them. BUT, with the medication and a diet change you can greatly extend your Mac's life.

Eliminate Peanuts from your Mac's Diet. Also greatly limit sunflower seed.

Learn how to listen to your Mac's heart rate!

I cannot stress enough how important it is to be able to monitor your Mac's Heart rate! With the help of your Avian Professional, learn what a Rested State heart rate sounds like. What a Stressed State heart rate sounds like...

Your ability to handle your Mac is very important in listening to your Mac's heart rate. Target having your Mac allow you to hold him, place him in your hand on his back, allow you to place you ear to his chest, and him staying there for at least one minute.

This will allow you to hear his heart rate and thus you can monitoring the heart status of your Mac. Once you are able to do this, you will be able to quickly determine if you need to be rushing to your Avian Professional or getting your Mac to relax.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts