Hello all

KikiParrot

Apr 4, 2018
We have been adopted by a Kakariki. Not sure what gender and don't know how old. Looks young and must have been a caged bird as it took a bit to fly freely - now it goes everywhere. Does anyone know how to gender a Kakariki?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome!
We have a couple of kakariki parronts here that I know of.
I hope you'll enjoy sharing information on diet and housing and so on.
I'm glad you're here.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
welcome, to answer your question the only real way to know is to get a DNA test done

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I didn't know what that was till I googled it, is it yellow or green.... POST A PIC! Don't be so stingy keeping all the cuteness to yourself!!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, thanks for joining!

My mom used to have kakarikis, will ask and post if she knows the answer!

OP
K

KikiParrot

Apr 4, 2018
Thanks all, I still have to get a photo of Kiki suitable to place on site. Don't know about DNA - does this mean a blood test? Kiki is not fond of being handled - hates hands :( Must have had some negative experiences in past - happy to come up close but you move your hands and we are gone !!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
There are do-it-yourself DNA collection kits you return to lab with DNA material. A small amount of blood is needed, either from a small nick to a toe, or plucked breast-bone feather.

I have not done this myself, but other members have. They may leave a post with first-hand information!

Most Reactions

Latest posts