Hello everyone

gbrar

Jan 16, 2013
Hi everyone, my name is Gurbir Brar and I'm a new member on this forum. I'm 19 right now and have been involved in breeding, training, and flying racing pigeons and other performance oriented breeds (tipplers, high fliers) for almost 12 years. This basically my bird background (no exotic bird experience, well not a whole lot).

I'm a criminology student in my 2nd year and my goal is to develop a program where pigeons (racing pigeons, performance pigeons, fancy pigeons) are used as therapy animals with individuals in prisons, people suffering from substance abuse, mood disorders, anti-social disorders, young offenders, youth-at-risk, etc. Along with the pigeons, I would also like to start an exotic bird program too (basically the same program), using small birds like lovebirds/cockatiels, and larger birds as well.
The procedure is called animal assisted therapy but a lot of people hear about dogs and horses being used, but never birds. So that is my goal. Plus as far as I know, pigeons have never been used as therapy animals in Canada so this would be a good way to promote the sport.

As far as my experience with exotic birds goes, not a whole lot. I had 3 budgies for about 8 months but was too busy with the pigeons and gave them away. However, I've now bought 2 breeding pairs of lovebirds. One pair produces dutch blue babies (all of them are dutch blue) and the other produces pied and olive coloured lovebirds. I have a few questions regarding breeding them but will start a new thread soon.

Hope to hear from some of you soon!

- G

Joeyx

Mar 15, 2012
Parrots
Birdie (BFA), Cloud (Lovebird)
welcome to the forums.

your animal assisted therapy with birds sounds promising. good luck with all that.

Most Reactions