Hello from a new Parrot Owner!

laciree87

Nov 15, 2021
Hi all, my name is Laci, and I was gifted a beautiful, what I believe to be, yellow headed Amazon. I was told it's a she, her name is Kelly. I am reaching out for any and all advice about Kelly, raising her, as I believe she isn't very old, and making her transition into our family smooth for her. Thank you in advance for any pointers, tips, and advice.

(If anyone could confirm breed, and possibly help pinpoint age? That would be great. I've done some googling and reading throughout the day but found this forum, and thought I should just ask some actual parrot owners!)

Attachments

• Snapchat-10757325.jpg
    Snapchat-10757325.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 91

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Laci and Kelly, gorgeous bird!! Definitely an Amazon, I'll defer to our more knowledgeable members to determine specific "yellow" species. Confirming age difficult unless obvious arthritic and possibly deformed feet with senior parrots.

Check out our popular Amazon Forum, beginning with two ageless sticky threads:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Welcome Laci!! Definately a very gorgeous 'zon! As Scott mentioned, we do have some avid amazon keepers who will surely share their experiences with their amazons!

One general rule with any newly aquired bird would be to find and get in contact with an avian vet, and if possible get a first checkup/health evaluation! If there is anything wrong, they will help you out and put you on the right track with any possibility needed therapies or diet changes, monitored by them.

I wish you lots of luck and love with Kelly!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed!

My guess is a Blue Front Amazon, due to what looks like a narrow blue band of feathers just past her 'nose'. From the eye color, she is either adolescent or adult. Once Amazons get their adult feathering in, its next to impossible to determine age.
I guess that you and the family are new to parrots? If so, the 2 threads suggested above are invaluable information; I can't stress how much so. Read them, several times, so that the information really sinks in, and if you can read them aloud to your new parrot, so much the better - Amazons love to be read to, and it will help her to acclimate to the new people and surroundings.

OP
L

laciree87

Nov 15, 2021
Welcome and be welcomed!

My guess is a Blue Front Amazon, due to what looks like a narrow blue band of feathers just past her 'nose'. From the eye color, she is either adolescent or adult. Once Amazons get their adult feathering in, its next to impossible to determine age.
I guess that you and the family are new to parrots? If so, the 2 threads suggested above are invaluable information; I can't stress how much so. Read them, several times, so that the information really sinks in, and if you can read them aloud to your new parrot, so much the better - Amazons love to be read to, and it will help her to acclimate to the new people and surroundings.
Thank you! I've been reading on them, it's a lot to read, but I'm getting there. We are new to having a parrot, I've only ever had chickens lol my grandmother had several parrots when I was little, but I was too young to actually know any information, I just thought they were fun to pet and talk to. I'm excited to have this adventure with Kelly. I think she's still pretty young, as she's got a lot of gray feathers still around her abdomen...Not sure if they can be seen in this picture.

Attachments

• 1637072453151788156392413721888.jpg
    1637072453151788156392413721888.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 76

Most Reactions

Latest posts