Hello, I am new here.....

toons77

Mar 14, 2021
Hi, I am new here...i am thinking of buying a parrot as I have been researching for quite some time. I am thinking of getting a conure or a quaker or cockatiel but still can't come to a conclusion as all have their different traits. I do understand that cockatiel is good in singing, a quaker can be trained to talk while a conure is more quiet in nature. Please advise on anyone who has either birds on their characteristic for both as i have young kids and i want a child friendly bird who can be a good learning ground for my kids to be able to take care of them.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, kudos for researching to narrow down choice of species. Many of us become infected over time with MBS disease: Multiple Bird Syndrome!

Each has unique characteristics but one most likely closest to your ideal companion. Are there local rescues, breeders, or pet shops with each available for you to observe and possibly handle?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. All 3 species you mentioned are smaller parrots but don't let their size fool you, they are very much all parrot. All parrots have things common. They all make noise, they all are messy and they all, at some point , bite. But a scream from a smaller parrot is not so loud that your hearing can be damaged (a macaw scream can be as loud as a jet engine). The mess a small parrot is obviously going to less and a bite from a smaller parrot will be less damaging than their bigger cousins. although macaws in particular don't usually take off a finger (even though they could if they wanted to). For a family with small kids, you can't go wrong with a cockatiel, really. Smart, cute, ability to whistle just about any tune you can think of, with personality to accept more then one person in the 'flock' they are good family parrots. On the down side, they can be skittish around hands, especially small fast moving ones, like the way most children have, but once your children understand that they can frighten the parrot cockatiel can be great childhood friends.

Quakers can get very cage aggressive. Conures can be bitey but with the right training that can be managed, however small children might not have the ability to adhere to that training.

As I'm sure you are finding out, with all parrots, you get out of them what you put in. They are 180 degrees opposite of dogs and cats in most regards, more like 3 yr old toddlers than a 'pet', better thought of as companions than pets.

Yes, welcome to our forums. There is a wealth of info and knowledge on here, no matter which species you get. A warning though - there are TONS of bad information, advice and suggestions out there on the internet. I can't even begin to list all the poor, ill advised and sometimes downright dangerous things you will find, so find a source that you trust, and stick with that one.

One last thought for you. Try hard to find a local, good quality, responsible breeder of the species you want, to purchase your parrot from. If you buy a baby or young parrot, only accept a fully weaned and fledged one. Weaning a baby from formula to solid foods is a skill that if done incorrectly can kill your parrot and letting the bird fledge his feathers and learn at least the basics of flight is beneficial for their long term pyscolgical well being. Both take time, and bad breeders what to move babies as fast as possible.

I hope you stay with us and write about your family and their new addition!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Welcome! You have come to the right place.

Parrots are a huge commitment, so just make sure you research a ton ahead of time. I haven't heard of conures or quakers being quiet. Wrench is absolutely right about his toddler comparison and the fact that they are totally different from cats and dogs (more complex and more needy).

On the following link, you will find a really long reply to the OP (from me), but rather than re-post the whole thing, I'll just give you the url. http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/89117-new-bird-owner-behavior-questions.html <-- it contains a lot of information on health/lifestyle changes etc that many first-time parrot owners need to know. Scroll down until you see my reply.

If at all possible, I'd recommend that you try and find an avian rescue--they often need volunteers and that will give you exposure to life with adult birds (as opposed to babies, who are, by default, sweeter and quieter).

Make sure you get a bigger cage (think flight cage) with appropriate bar-spacing. The ones they sell at the pet stores are far too small most of the time. Also, a cage needs to be wide (not just tall), so you want a cage that is elevated off the ground, with decent width.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Since you appear to be down to three species of Parrot. Try to allow any of that group to accept you and your family. IMHO, Parrots are far better at selecting the right Humans, then Humans are a selecting the right Parrot.

Be open to the Parrot choosing you and yours! How that works, if one stays near you while the others move away, very likely that Parrot is more comfortable with you, FYI, likely choosing you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts