Hello, I’m glad to be here

QpSemrow

Dec 27, 2020
Lakeside, Michigan
Parrots
I have one Green Wing Macaw
Hi,
My name is Quandee and I have had birds in my life since I was 16 years old. I lost my best buddy Sammy, a Blue & Gold Macaw almost two years ago and miss her every day. I had her for 34 years.
About 13 months ago I adopted a Green wing Macaw from a woman who could no longer care for him. I expected we would establish a bond and have a great relationship, but that hasn’t happened. He doesn’t like me, and often tries to bite. But when my friend comes over he is very sweet to her and lets her touch and snuggle with him.
I joined this group hoping that someone might be able to help me. I really think he just doesn’t like me, because he is nice to everyone else. It breaks my heart, and it’s made me afraid of him as well.
Any sage advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your group!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have sometimes heard of this happening. As the parrot associate you as the person who took them from their happy home and person they were bonded to.

I hope you guys can re set , and he realizes how lucky he is.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A warm welcome to you and your GW, Quandee. My deepest condolences for the loss of Sammy. You'll never forget him, but hopefully will have a wonderful relationship with your newer friend.

Green Wings are generally the more mellow (that term is relative!) species of macaw. Might be helpful to attempt a "reset" by returning to the basics of bonding and establishing trust. Part of your challenge will be to overcome fear and/or apprehension he most certainly senses. While macaws can and do bite, their beaks are often used for bluffing and less likely used for harm compared with others. Two threads of interest: First offers tips to bond/build trust, second is all about those beaks!
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/56384-big-beak-o-phobes-guide-understanding-macaw-beaks.html

Rewarding good behaviors with special treats is most helpful. Macaws need a bit more fat in their diets compared with other parrots, pieces of almond and walnut are favorites! Let us know how you are progressing!!

OP
Q

QpSemrow

Dec 27, 2020
Lakeside, Michigan
Parrots
I have one Green Wing Macaw
Thank you very much for your welcoming words.
Scott, I really appreciate the links you sent me, I’m going to try the reset and work with overcoming the anxiety I’ve accumulated. He bit me very hard once this summer, so that is where it’s coming from.
Despite that, I will try again. I don’t want to give up, but in the end I just want him to be happy.
Happy New Year to everyone....it has to be better than this year!

Quandee

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Welcome, and try your best to be patient. Think about your behavior around the bird-- if you are trying to force anything at all (step-ups, exiting cage, eating from your hand, too many scary new toys without prior acclimatization etc) it could be that you have been setting back your trust. They also DO pick up on fear/anxiety because their vision is stellar and they can see our capillaries etc-- so if you are hanging onto fear (which is easy to do) your bird will be less easy around you, based on your physiological displays (even if you think you are hiding them).

I know after a year, it seems like a bird should be cool with you, BUT if you have been doing little things to break trust along the way, it could be that you keep setting yourself back without knowing it, meaning you are having to try and rebuild trust from zero, or negative digits.

You want to ONLY be associated with positive/low stress things. In a human mind, offering a treat by hand often SEEMS positive, but your hand alone may stress the bird out and destroy trust via stress associations, so if you are pushing anything at all (even if your intentions are good) your bird may view that as a threat and lose faith in you. Move at your bird's pace, read the cues and never force anything at all unless it is a life/death situation where you have to intervene for safety.

I think that there is hope and I imagine that you probably have been doing something (unknowingly) to make your bird feel like you are less trustworthy (it can be something little, like trying to touch it too often, or holding food in the cage/in your hand, despite a lack of interest/hesitation on your bird's part). Heck- maybe you vacuumed around the cage and your bird is stressed by the vacuum-- the thing is, if you have trust, you can sometimes do a few scary things without totally reversing it, but if you are resetting trust over and over, then you will feel like you are running in place a lot of times.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you very much for your welcoming words.
Scott, I really appreciate the links you sent me, I’m going to try the reset and work with overcoming the anxiety I’ve accumulated. He bit me very hard once this summer, so that is where it’s coming from.
Despite that, I will try again. I don’t want to give up, but in the end I just want him to be happy.
Happy New Year to everyone....it has to be better than this year!

Quandee

I know from experience a macaw bite can be deep, painful, and memorable. May last summer be the final serious event! 2020 has been an anxious year for many in general, wishing you a more tranquil 2021. As mentioned earlier, parrots are keen readers of emotions. Hopefully you can work to establish deeper trust and stronger bond, the key to mutual happiness!

Most Reactions

Latest posts