Hello linnie lovers

Beauregard

Jul 23, 2021
Hello, Thanks for welcoming me to your group. I have had a few birds in the past budgies and Bourkes parakeets so not completely new to birds. I am about to adopt a young pair of Linnies in two weeks. Very excited about this! They have been DNA tested to be sure they?re male and female one is a lime green male and a cremino female. They are both hand fed and still babies but want to be sure as they mature in the future that is a good genetic pairing. I don?t know very much about their genetics but I?m under the impression there?s certain mutations that should not be bred together.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Welcome to the forum!
In general you can breed all mutations, however I heard that two inos shouldn't be bred (I think it is about all parrots). So, I don't think there are any contraindications in the case of your pair.

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Welcome Beauregard (beautiful name choice by the way)!!

I am glad to see another linnie fan here!! As Rozalka said, two inos must not be bred as they have a too much recessive genetics which means a narrow pool of genes. Rozalka is also right that this apply to parrots in general, not just linnies.

Unfortunately pairing linnie mutations is not that easy as it is for other parrots. If one pair mutations that should not be paired together he or she might end up with weak chicks with feather malformations and back toes flipped to the front.

Maybe that is the reason so few people have linnies and even less people is willing to talk about and teach newcomers.

I am in the same page as you are. I have had budgies and lovebirds for many years, but have adopted a pair of linnies only a few months ago. They are really fun and very much different than any other parrot you might have come across!!

As long as my mild understanding is, we should not pair together two ino birds, two greywing birds, one ino and one greywing, two birds carrying double dark factors (that are the birds with dark colors as the mauve, olive green and cobalt blue).

Regarding the lime green you said you have, it is a mutation I know little about. Maybe it is a way to call for a green greywing single factor (greywings can be single or double facotrs) or just another mutation not greywing (which I hope so if you are willing to breed them in the future).

If you could provide a picture, it could help me to have a better look.

In my case, I adopted a pair of greywings that I came to identify as so just last week, which means no breeding possibilities for me.

Cheers

Most Reactions