Hello Other Parrot Lovers

sunnykiwi

Jun 9, 2021
I have a Sun Conure (Sunny) and a Quaker (Kiwi) which are both in their late teens. I did have a CAG (Baby) who passed away May 3rd of this year. She was around 25-30 years old. My heart has the biggest hole in it since then. I love my other two parrots dearly, but my Grey was my "Dream" bird. I am 63 yrs old and married. My husband loved Baby also, but I am the true parrot lover. We both are retired, but I do take care of my 89 year Mother by going over to her house 2/3 hrs each day. My hobbies are watercolor (beginner) and acrylic painting. I do Diamond Painting kits and reading. My husband and I also love going to the National Parks (not camping), but at our age that is going to be ending in the near future.

I guess I wanted to join this forum to talk to other parrot people and try to ease the emptiness I feel on losing Baby. My husband thinks it would not be right to have another large parrot at my age. It would not be fair to the bird due to their life spans and I know in my mind he is right, but my heart is having a hard time accepting the facts. Are other people in my position having the same feelings?

Thanks for your time and I will enjoy reading about your birds.

Shari:orange:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Welcome to the forums, Shari! Sincerest condolences for your loss of Baby. You've found the best place on the internet for like minded people. Losing that one special parrot does indeed leave a gigantic hole in our hearts, a feeling many of us know all too well. Only you can say what's right for yourself, but have you considered adopting/rescuing an older bird in need of a good home? There's so many of them out there that deserve that chance. With the exception of the budgies I had as a kid, every one of my birds have been re-homes or rescues, and they're sooooo worth it. The best part for me is the opportunity for a bird with established personality to choose you. They're way better at it than we are at choosing them. So, if something like that is a possibility, keeping an open mind may bring forth something that you hadn't even thought of. That's how my Ekkies found me, when I had never even heard of them. It involved lots of research before I felt confident enough to bring them home, but worth every bit of it. Food for thought. Again, it's a personal decision, and you have to listen to what your heart needs and what works best for you.

Also, if you'd like to share, we love pictures here. **hint, hint** :D

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Shari, Sunny, and Kiwi, thanks for joining.

My deepest condolences for your loss of Baby. Grief from passing of beloved companion is a circuitous journey. Many of us similarly affected, you are among sensitive ears! Consider memorializing Baby with a thread in our Bereavement Forum.

I'd submit you and your husband are correct! Adopting an older parrot has benefits on many levels. Designating a successor plan for your birds quite helpful in recognition of mortality and alleviates guilt.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
The pain is so very real! I am sorry!

?At our age?? %#*@! 63?
I am turning 70 and I just accepted a three month job in Chicago, building our next super computer! They offered crazy $$$!
I am giving my house to my daughter so that I have more time for my toys! Windsurfing, kayaking, biking!
Welcome!

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
I did have a CAG (Baby) who passed away May 3rd of this year. She was around 25-30 years old. My heart has the biggest hole in it since then. I love my other two parrots dearly, but my Grey was my "Dream" bird. I am 63 yrs old and married. My husband loved Baby also, but I am the true parrot lover.

Shari:orange:

Dear Shari

Terrible to hear about your loss. I can fully empathise with you.

As Orwell may put it but in a deeper more meaningful context:

All Parrot species are special but some species (Alexandrine Parakeet, African Grey, Moluccan Cockatoo, Hyacinth Macaw, Budgerigar,Central Americal Scarlet Macaw, Yellow Collared Lovebird, Eastern Rosella (Golden mantled subspecies ) are more special than the others.

I can understand the deep bond that you would have had with this birds. My heart felt condolences.

:blue::red1::blue:

inkspider

Jun 8, 2021
st. augustine florida
Parrots
Roman GCC
I would definitely recommend getting an older bird from a shelter or rescue, they are all lovely. And if you are looking for friends my DMs are always open to just hang out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts