Hello!

Logynathan87

Jul 30, 2021
Media
Sunny Singapore
Hi Everyone! I'm a first time Ekkie /parrot mum :green2: and so, I am so nervous but excited to be on this journey with my baby! Ive got a 4 month old (turning 5 in a week) Ekkie male named Baloo from a pet shop. He's been in cage for the first 5 days (as advised by the shop owner) as he needs to get used to the surroundings and people. I find it rather uncomfortable but 5 days passed in a jiffy! I had so much trouble getting Baloo to eat as he wasnt eating well and just on his seed mix that the shop gave. Ive been boiling corn, sweet potato (he likes that), broccoli, bak choy and having fruits like cherries, banana, apple and pears but he eats very minimal. He had his first flight (with alot of crash banging into the walls and what not) but he is still not tamed or bonded with me yet. Im super stoked to be here in this forum so i can learn tips and do whats best for my baby! I hope to learn as much here and share this journey with you guys!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Lots of Ekkie owners on here, and lots of good solid information too.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Baloo, thanks for joining! Did the shop owner represent him as fully weaned? Five months old can be borderline depending on individual, and a bit of regression would not be unusual in new home. Cannot overstate the importance of diet for Ekkies - seeds very unhealthy baseline. Please check this informative thread from our Ekkie Forum: http://www.parrotforums.com/eclectus/52737-so-you-think-you-want-eclectus.html

A few techniques to help bond and build trust: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

You and Baloo still in the "honeymoon" period of adjustment, work at his pace and reward progress with a tasty treat.

Most Reactions