hello !

threat2society

Jan 10, 2023
Lithuania
Parrots
my CAG bruknė !! ( Lingonberry in english LOL )
hi hello everyone !! im new here : ) i dont have any birds yet , but i have been doing lots of research for the past 2 years . my dream birds are a congo african grey and a green cheek conure ! i hope i'll be able to get either of those in near future , considering i have some experience ( i had a cockatiel ) though im still in school and dont have the money yet + im worried i wont give the bird enough attention because im in school from 8:00am to about 3:30pm ( depending on the day , sometimes i get back at 4:30pm ) but both of my parents work from home so this is the issue that bothers me the least . what do you guys think ?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Smart of you to do your research both on this forum and others. My advice is to wait until you are finished with your education and have established yourself with job/dwelling/social life. Parrots are a lot more of a commitment then any source will tell you, except maybe our members here. We are all about the parrots well being.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think if you will be going away to college maybe you should wait to get a bird. You have to live on campus for your first year (unless you live at home and commute) so your parents would be caring for the bird anyhow.

I was without a bird in college until I got into an apartment. Then I found my first Quaker. I was home studying a lot so I think it worked out ok as i would study with her.

I would not buy an African grey for my first bird. A green cheeked conure would be a fun and friendly little guy. They can be nippy, though.

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
I absolutely love that you are researching and asking these questions! It is very responsible. I have a few comments, though. First, the birds themselves are not cheap, especially a congo african grey, which can get up to a couple of thousand dollars. Green Cheek Conures are significantly less but still anywhere from $600-$1000. Then you have to consider cages which are a few hundred dollars, toys that will need to be replaced frequently, and food and treats. Not to mention vet visits. Both birds, more so the African Grey, need a ton of attention and stimulation, so a school schedule runs the possibility of creating a stressed bird. Don't get me wrong, I think parrots are fantastic pets, but they are expensive in every sense and high maintenance. I would wait until you have a little more autonomy and can afford to care for a bird. I would also suggest not getting an African grey as a first bird; they are expensive and hard to care for. Green cheeks are great beginner birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts