Hello !

Itsbarbie420

May 16, 2023
Illinois
Parrots
Iā€™m not sure what breed she is but sheā€™s a hybrid named peaches
So Ik macaws are naturally very noisy birds but is there any possible way to make them happier / not so screachy. šŸ˜… I almost feel as if sheā€™s asking for something and Iā€™m neglecting her in some way. I donā€™t mind the noises but sheā€™s a frequent screamer and that is putting her noises lightly šŸ¤£šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø she is 100% cage free and always has access to food and water as well as toys and fresh fruit a perch and even a window she also gets trips outside . Does she maybe want a friend? Lol I donā€™t know how that would go down because sheā€™s a dominant birdie and Iā€™m just confused šŸ˜ plz help lol Iā€™ve been looking for a swing that will fit her but sheā€™s truely a bigger girl so I will more than likely end up making on. Thank you in advance. Also,, she has a tendency to try to bite me and typically only me as well as any and all other females who try to give her any attention. Iā€™ve been researching shunning but I havenā€™t quiet started yet as she doesnā€™t really enjoy to be set anywhere besides the top of her cage and my shoulder, she will persistently perch herself on my shoulder and if I try to itch myself, by where she is or anything close adjust clothes ect, she will puffed up, and start to try to bite at my hands. She has never drew blood, but she has bruised my arm before. She is a rescue and her previous owner was a male and believe it or not any random John off the street and she will instantly rehome herself with that man šŸ„²šŸ˜‚ Iā€™ve already invested so much in her sheā€™s so gorgeous and unique I couldnā€™t possible part ways with her but I want to give her the happiest of lives !
IMG_1656.jpeg
IMG_1658.jpeg
IMG_1654.jpeg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What a beautiful girl she is!
I'm going to tag a member, @Cindylynn , who has a Macaw in hopes she'll be able to help you. I'm not experienced with Macaws and don't want to steer you wrong:)

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Unfortunately, even a bird with all the entertainment in the world, screams!
Itā€™s part of a parrots natural instinct to do so.

If sheā€™s screaming constantly thatā€™s not easy on the ears.
I recommend hiding her favorite foods in her toys, this will occupy most bird for a little while.

Another bird wonā€™t solve the problem. In fact, itā€™ll double the screaming.
Only get another bird if you want one, not to get a companion for her.
Get another bird if you feel you can care for and have enough time for another bird in your home.

Shunning can work for some birds. If theyā€™re screaming for attention and then you run to them to see whatā€™s wrong, they got what they wanted.

How long have you had her? I couldnā€™t remember from one of your previous threads.
I also recommend target training, it can help get a bird to go somewhere you want while the bird thinks itā€™s their choice.
Hereā€™s a few YouTube channels that have excellent training information:

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Don't have time for a long response today, but I'll get back later. But if she is unruly on your shoulder, it is a bad idea to let her up there. You relinquish most all control and she is Ina position to inflict serious injury to eyes, ears, nose etc. That is a position for trusted macaws only.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
plz help lol Iā€™ve been looking for a swing that will fit her but sheā€™s truely a bigger girl so I will more than likely end up making on.
Just thought I'd poke in and suggest here, alot of their stuff is aimed toward the big birds and I see they have some swings if I search it up :)

OP
Itsbarbie420

Itsbarbie420

May 16, 2023
Illinois
Parrots
Don't have time for a long response today, but I'll get back later. But if she is unruly on your shoulder, it is a bad idea to let her up there. You relinquish most all control and she is Ina position to inflict serious injury to eyes, ears, nose etc. That is a position for trusted macaws only.
How do I go about making her not? Iā€™m afraid the answer here is to no longer pick her up? I kid u not almost within the first 20 seconds of being picked up onto my hand / arm she starts working her way up my arm as if she climbing a ladder šŸ™ƒ these not a whole lot of ā€œbad peaches, noā€ she will start flapping her wings and keep working her way up there but once sheā€™s there, if unbothered. Sheā€™s just fine šŸ„² I read a super long post by the fellow mentioned previously about bitey macaws and was working with her earlier and she is already picking up on me expressing my emotions and show the whole no thing lol but she will still go straight to the shoulder like a safe space. But I completely ignore her when sheā€™s squawking and doing her obnoxious shows but her previous owner Iā€™m afraid had 0 idea what to even do and didnā€™t try to correct and or train the poor bird at all so he more than likely aided to the screaming because she searches for me and does the whole head swooshing thing while doing it šŸ˜¬

OP
Itsbarbie420

Itsbarbie420

May 16, 2023
Illinois
Parrots
Unfortunately, even a bird with all the entertainment in the world, screams!
Itā€™s part of a parrots natural instinct to do so.

If sheā€™s screaming constantly thatā€™s not easy on the ears.
I recommend hiding her favorite foods in her toys, this will occupy most bird for a little while.

Another bird wonā€™t solve the problem. In fact, itā€™ll double the screaming.
Only get another bird if you want one, not to get a companion for her.
Get another bird if you feel you can care for and have enough time for another bird in your home.

Shunning can work for some birds. If theyā€™re screaming for attention and then you run to them to see whatā€™s wrong, they got what they wanted.

How long have you had her? I couldnā€™t remember from one of your previous threads.
I also recommend target training, it can help get a bird to go somewhere you want while the bird thinks itā€™s their choice.
Hereā€™s a few YouTube channels that have excellent training information:
I have had her since December ! I also feared the whole another feather would be way louder together thing as well. šŸ˜ knowing my luck they would be doing a constant ā€œwhoā€™s the loudestā€ contest šŸ˜…

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
How do I go about making her not? Iā€™m afraid the answer here is to no longer pick her up? I kid u not almost within the first 20 seconds of being picked up onto my hand / arm she starts working her way up my arm as if she climbing a ladder šŸ™ƒ these not a whole lot of ā€œbad peaches, noā€ she will start flapping her wings and keep working her way up there but once sheā€™s there, if unbothered. Sheā€™s just fine šŸ„² I read a super long post by the fellow mentioned previously about bitey macaws and was working with her earlier and she is already picking up on me expressing my emotions and show the whole no thing lol but she will still go straight to the shoulder like a safe space. But I completely ignore her when sheā€™s squawking and doing her obnoxious shows but her previous owner Iā€™m afraid had 0 idea what to even do and didnā€™t try to correct and or train the poor bird at all so he more than likely aided to the screaming because she searches for me and does the whole head swooshing thing while doing it šŸ˜¬
Pancho, luckily, is much more of a talker than a screamer. He does scream when he notices that someone is about to leave the house. He sees shoes going on and purse being picked up, he SCREAMS!! The best thing that I've found that helps this is talking quietly to him. He will bring the volume down, because he wants to hear me. I would also talk to him, constantly. If someone was to watch me when I'm home alone with my critters, they would swear I'm bat sh** crazy. I tell him everything I'm doing...just constantly talk. They love the company, you are her flock. Perhaps, if she gets more conversational and realizes that talking (understandable or not, I mean volume and tone) is a much better and more well received means of communication, she may learn to pipe down some.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Consistency. You gotta be more stubborn than the bird. If she won't give it up, try shunning...place her in a neutral place (not her cage) for a minute and ignore her, then try again. Or drop her to the floor, if she gets too aggressive with her persistence. If she wants to be on you, she has to respect you. Also, a bird on your arm is much easier to control. Bites can be stopped or prevented by a simple shake of the arm, puts them off balance and you back in control, may try this as she tries to climb too.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Just thought I'd poke in and suggest here, alot of their stuff is aimed toward the big birds and I see they have some swings if I search it up :)
These toys look fabulous! Im gonna have to get Pancho some of these!! Also, Pancho loves the toys at https://busy-bird.com/ . He loves to unscrew things, and these are holding up to the beak very well. He loves the busy barrel, I put a treat in it for him and he has to unscrew it and open it up to get his treat. And he loves the busy strip...and the impossiball. Great toys that last a long time and keep them busy.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
One last thing, I saw you wondering what hybrid she is. It's hard to be 100% sure between Harlequin or Catalina without DNA testing or knowing what the parents were, but I've read that Catalinas tend to be more of a Yellow-Orange on the belly and Harelquins tend to be more of a Red-Orange on the belly. Pancho definately fits the bill on this, his orange is a very fiery red orange. Looks like Peaches is a lighter yellow orange from her pics, so I'd lean towards a Catalina.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

First, read every thing on the Macaw sub forum stickies, especially all by birdman666 our resident macaw guy.
second, decide on a path towards your goal with her, then stick to it, like it was written in the bible. Changing tactics confuses them and you need a l-o-n-g time to break any habits a parrot has.

When our Amazon Salty goes on a screaming jag (and he can really belt it out there!) I whisper to him instead of trying to talk over him, which is impossible. That stops him in his tracks. Not saying he does not resume the screaming sometimes, but its enough of a break that 50% of the time he forgets why he was screaming and interests himself in something else, like a toy or food.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
These toys look fabulous! Im gonna have to get Pancho some of these!!
I've heard lots of good things about them šŸ˜Š I'd love to try some with my birdies one day when I can afford the exchange rate/expensive shipping.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I didn't notice that! Where do they ship from?
Oh, don't worry about that! They're somewhere in the US, I just live on the otherside of the world (Aus) šŸ˜…

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Oh, don't worry about that! They're somewhere in the US, I just live on the otherside of the world (Aus) šŸ˜…
Well, this is the FIRST time I've felt sorry for someone who lives in Australia! šŸ¤£ I can only dream about visiting! Is it as beautiful as pictures?

KrystalLater00

Apr 10, 2023
Media
Parrots
So Ik macaws are naturally very noisy birds but is there any possible way to make them happier / not so screachy. šŸ˜… I almost feel as if sheā€™s asking for something and Iā€™m neglecting her in some way. I donā€™t mind the noises but sheā€™s a frequent screamer and that is putting her noises lightly šŸ¤£šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø she is 100% cage free and always has access to food and water as well as toys and fresh fruit a perch and even a window she also gets trips outside . Does she maybe want a friend? Lol I donā€™t know how that would go down because sheā€™s a dominant birdie and Iā€™m just confused šŸ˜ plz help lol Iā€™ve been looking for a swing that will fit her but sheā€™s truely a bigger girl so I will more than likely end up making on. Thank you in advance. Also,, she has a tendency to try to bite me and typically only me as well as any and all other females who try to give her any attention. Iā€™ve been researching shunning but I havenā€™t quiet started yet as she doesnā€™t really enjoy to be set anywhere besides the top of her cage and my shoulder, she will persistently perch herself on my shoulder and if I try to itch myself, by where she is or anything close adjust clothes ect, she will puffed up, and start to try to bite at my hands. She has never drew blood, but she has bruised my arm before. She is a rescue and her previous owner was a male and believe it or not any random John off the street and she will instantly rehome herself with that man šŸ„²šŸ˜‚ Iā€™ve already invested so much in her sheā€™s so gorgeous and unique I couldnā€™t possible part ways with her but I want to give her the happiest of lives !View attachment 50671View attachment 50672View attachment 50673
She's a beautiful bird.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have had her since December ! I also feared the whole another feather would be way louder together thing as well. šŸ˜ knowing my luck they would be doing a constant ā€œwhoā€™s the loudestā€ contest šŸ˜…
Some parrots seem to scream for the sheer joy of it and the bigger the bird the louder it is! I suggest a really good pair of ear plugs to muffle it. I use Hearos ez-twist because my husband snores LOUDLY directly into my left ear. They are the easiest to insert and remove and reduce loud noises by 30 decibels.

OP
Itsbarbie420

Itsbarbie420

May 16, 2023
Illinois
Parrots
Some parrots seem to scream for the sheer joy of it and the bigger the bird the louder it is! I suggest a really good pair of ear plugs to muffle it. I use Hearos ez-twist because my husband snores LOUDLY directly into my left ear. They are the easiest to insert and remove and reduce loud noises by 30 decibels.
At this point Iā€™m beginning to things sheā€™s screaming for her own sick enjoyment too because she happy as can be while doing it šŸ˜¬šŸ™ƒ flapping around and jumping all over the place just being a real menace šŸ¤£šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
At this point Iā€™m beginning to things sheā€™s screaming for her own sick enjoyment too because she happy as can be while doing it šŸ˜¬šŸ™ƒ flapping around and jumping all over the place just being a real menace šŸ¤£šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø
Yup. Parrots scream, some more than others! Muffling it down with earplugs will make it more tolerable, help save your sanity šŸ„“ and protect your hearing. And, since you won't react with as much obvious distress, your winged terrorist won't get such a thrill out of watching you cringe, so maybe he will lose interest in this game.

Most Reactions

Latest posts