Help! 1 person bird or hormonal?

chokapica

Oct 8, 2022
Portugal
Parrots
2 Cockatiels, 1 Lovebird
Hello!
I need some help. I've had cockatiels since 2019 but in ~June 2022 a friend found a Lovebird on the street, lost, and with red suffusion. My friend doesn't want birds but I told him to bring him to me so I could take care of the bird at least until it was healthy, because I couldn't let it die. I have never owned Lovebirds before.

So, my friend brought him in. I took him to the vet, had him sexed (it's a male) and nursed him back to health. He's not 100% yet but he's much better from his red suffusion.

He must have been someone's pet because he was very sweet and not afraid of us at all. Me and my husband could pet him and he was a wonderful gentle soul. He has a leg band and according to it he is from 2020, so he's now 2 years old.

Fast forward to now, for a week or so he's been masturbating on a particular perch so I thought, okay he's hormonal. No problem. But now he's super SUPER aggressive towards me and me alone. My husband can stick his finger inside his cage and pet him, but if I so much as get close to the cage he'll puff up and get ready to shred my hands to bits out of nowhere. I also cannot pet him anymore outside of the cage either, since he'll either run away from me or bite me. Everything is normal with him and my husband though.

So my question is, are Lovebirds one person birds? Because I'm the one who takes care of all the birds, feed them and clean the cages, and having him aggressive towards me out of nowhere is a little discouraging. Or is it just a phase, maybe? Because he's hormonal?
Is it normal for a 2 year old male to show aggression like this?

I recorded a video of the behavior. Normally I'll ignore the behavior and just not bother him unless I need to, but today I just wanted to take a video of it.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20221004_154609.jpg
    IMG_20221004_154609.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 59
  • VID_20221008_130250(0) (1).mp4
    6.7 MB

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Looks like a lovebird who has decided his cage is ā€œhomeā€ and letting you know that. And maybe lovebird has chosen your husband as his/ her favorite person. They often do that.

Some birds are protective of their cages. My Quaker Willow is protective of his cage so we have a ritual when I want him to come out:

I open the cage door and ask him to come out. I get out a treat to sweeten the deal. If he comes out on the door weā€™re good. He will step up no problem. If he stays in the cage I cover my hand with a towel and ask him to step up, bringing my hand near him. Usually he will then step up.

What was the ā€œred suffusion ā€œ problem you referred to?

Thatā€™s a cute lovebird!

OP
C

chokapica

Oct 8, 2022
Portugal
Parrots
2 Cockatiels, 1 Lovebird
Looks like a lovebird who has decided his cage is ā€œhomeā€ and letting you know that. And maybe lovebird has chosen your husband as his/ her favorite person. They often do that.

Some birds are protective of their cages. My Quaker Willow is protective of his cage so we have a ritual when I want him to come out:

I open the cage door and ask him to come out. I get out a treat to sweeten the deal. If he comes out on the door weā€™re good. He will step up no problem. If he stays in the cage I cover my hand with a towel and ask him to step up, bringing my hand near him. Usually he will then step up.

What was the ā€œred suffusion ā€œ problem you referred to?

Thatā€™s a cute lovebird!
Thank you so much for your reply!

Oh so it is normal that my husband is allowed in his home and I am not?
Then it's not hormones and I have to get used to it?

I've been working with him, sticking my hand on the cage. If he doesn't bite - treat. If he steps up (and not bite) - treat. If I come up to the cage and put my hand next to the bar and he doesn't attack it - treat. It's a ongoing process. Oh and I found out he will also bite if he's out of the cage, eating. Maybe I'm just not part of the flock yet and he was tolerating me all this time but now he said enough is enough (?) This is my theory so far.

About the red suffusion, apparently when they have a really bad diet their liver starts to shut down and their whole body slowly starts to turn red. When I got him, he had a bunch of random red feathers around his back and wings. I suppose his previous owner didn't feed him anything but sunflower seed or something like that. I changed his diet and his red feathers have been disappearing slowly.
Attached photo of said red spots.

Attachments

• IMG_20220613_110825.jpg
    IMG_20220613_110825.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thank you so much for your reply!

Oh so it is normal that my husband is allowed in his home and I am not?
Then it's not hormones and I have to get used to it?
Itā€™s common for many parrots to decide that one member of the household is their ā€œpersonā€ and be jealous of the competition.

I've been working with him, sticking my hand on the cage. If he doesn't bite - treat. If he steps up (and not bite) - treat. If I come up to the cage and put my hand next to the bar and he doesn't attack it - treat. It's a ongoing process. Oh and I found out he will also bite if he's out of the cage, eating. Maybe I'm just not part of the flock yet and he was tolerating me all this time but now he said enough is enough (?) This is my theory so far.
That sounds really good! Treat for doing what you request, no reaction for not doing what you request.

About the red suffusion, apparently when they have a really bad diet their liver starts to shut down and their whole body slowly starts to turn red. When I got him, he had a bunch of random red feathers around his back and wings. I suppose his previous owner didn't feed him anything but sunflower seed or something like that. I changed his diet and his red feathers have been disappearing slowly.
Attached photo of said red spots.
I see what you mean now. Maybe I didnā€™t ā€œget itā€ because my species doesnā€™t have red but gets yellow feathers when there are liver problems.

One thing I AM wondering: do you know for sure that this is a male lovebird? Iā€™m just asking because I think adult female lovebirds can get more aggressive. Also egg laying issues and subsequent liver damage can change feather color, too.

OP
C

chokapica

Oct 8, 2022
Portugal
Parrots
2 Cockatiels, 1 Lovebird
Itā€™s common for many parrots to decide that one member of the household is their ā€œpersonā€ and be jealous of the competition.

That sounds really good! Treat for doing what you request, no reaction for not doing what you request.

I see what you mean now. Maybe I didnā€™t ā€œget itā€ because my species doesnā€™t have red but gets yellow feathers when there are liver problems.

One thing I AM wondering: do you know for sure that this is a male lovebird? Iā€™m just asking because I think adult female lovebirds can get more aggressive. Also egg laying issues and subsequent liver damage can change feather color, too.
Yes! I am positive it's a male because I took him to the vet and had him lab checked (I don't know how to say it in English. Had him sexed?)
That's why I was kinda hoping this was not a *forever* thing because I've read male lovebirds tend to be less aggressive than females. šŸ˜µā€šŸ’« Unless the lab mixed it up, which sometimes may happen I guess?

It's hard to not react to the bites because he tends to bite harder and harder but eh, I'll have to manage. We're making progress though, so I'm happy with that.
I actually never wanted a lovebird because of the supposed aggression they might have, but I just couldn't not help him šŸ˜… So I'm trying to learn more about them now, as I grew quite attached to him.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think youā€™re training him well. Since he definitely IS a boy that is probably better as far as aggression and eggs is concerned.

OP
C

chokapica

Oct 8, 2022
Portugal
Parrots
2 Cockatiels, 1 Lovebird
I think youā€™re training him well. Since he definitely IS a boy that is probably better as far as aggression and eggs is concerned.
Thanks for all the help, I'll keep with the training and see how it goes!

Most Reactions