HELP!!! 14 week old IRN is into everything STILL!!!!

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can teach my IRN to not go on certain things and "play" with them? No matter how much or even how I tell her no, she just keeps going back. Am I supposed to remove everything from her or instead teach her what is no and what is yes? I am an artist and have my art work on display - otherwise why do it, but it's gotten to the point that nothing is off limits to her.
I am target training her atm, she gets easily distracted but we are making progress but that's just for "Come here" isn't it? Or is it supposed to be "come here instead of there" learning? I just need some help before all my hard work is ruined and I am so over telling her no... she deserves freedom in her home as much as I do....

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
You said it yourself - the bird will need diatraction from the things you do not want touched. But also you must understand that maybe it is the bird's way of getting your attention whether it be positive or negative.

It's still basically a baby! Have patience. Sometimes parrots are very very stubborn and you will have to find another way to cover or put away your artwork - talking from experience. This is one thing when it comes to owning a parrot - it is 90% of the time you who has to adjust, not the bird.

If the bird is very interested into something and it simply knows it is not supposed to touch it, as soon you turn your head away, I guarantee you that the bird will go back to it. All of random species and birds we had did it.

Sorry to tell you, but you will very likely have to cover your artwork or put it away!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
It is almost impossible to teach "that is not a chew toy" to a parrot. You have to be smarter then they are. And they are very smart to begin with. Harsh as it may sound, you may want to clip her wings temporarily, so she does not have free access to your art work. After a few years of not being able to get to them, she will direct her chewing attention to things she CAN get to, like parrot toys. Then after a few years of that you let her wings grow out and HOPE she has lost interest in your art work. Other then enclosing your work in glass or plastic covers, that's all I have for you.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Sorry I really don't like reading that, especially for a newly weaned bird still learning and practicing flight. And being Indian ring neck this clipped wings might turn the bird into a screamer and biter, and fear of hands. These guys are prone to developing fear of hands. Plus Op just started asking for advice a couple of days ago, not long enough to change behavior.

What has been tried? Besides saying no, and targets?
Have you given her her own spots to hang out next to you with her own toys? Have you done any foraging?

This is your thread from Wednesday. It takes longer than a couple if days to change behavior. You need to plan on a month or more. Time and dedication now,, will pay off for life
Thread 'Dealing with toddlers - of the bird variety and Toys, the more distracting the better' https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...d-toys-the-more-distracting-the-better.92071/

We feel your frustration.
Be careful that this isn't becoming a fun game to your bird. You should use the same calm phrase and move it to its play perch. You really need to set up A nice play gym near you while you do your art. So can be near, but on own furniture, with interesting stuff abd foraging.

Also do some in home recall flight and tire her out before you start your art. Set both of you up for success. Remember treats and rewards often when staying on it play gym. And make it an interactive interesting place to stay, no bird want to stay in a plane wood perch or t bar . Have stuff to climb and swing on and chew, and a millet spray snack.

Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Sorry I really don't like reading that, especially for a newly weaned bird still learning and practicing flight. And being Indian ring neck this clipped wings might turn the bird into a screamer and biter, and fear of hands. These guys are prone to developing fear of hands. Plus Op just started asking for advice a couple of days ago, not long enough to change behavior.

Have you given her her own spots to hang out next to you with her own toys? Have you done any foraging?

This is your thread from Wednesday. It takes longer than a couple if days to change behavior. You need to plan on a month or more. Time and dedication now,, will pay off for life
Thread 'Dealing with toddlers - of the bird variety and Toys, the more distracting the better' https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...d-toys-the-more-distracting-the-better.92071/

Be careful that this isn't becoming a fun game to your bird. You should use the same calm phrase and move it to its play perch. You really need to set up A nice play gym near you while you do your art. So can be near, but on own furniture, with interesting stuff abd foraging.

Also do some in home recall flight and tire her out before you start your art. Set both of you up for success. Remember treats and rewards often when staying on it play gym. And make it an interactive interesting place to stay, no bird want to stay in a plane wood perch or t bar . Have stuff to climb and swing on and chew, and a millet spray snack.
I agree, clipping wings on such a young bird is just asking for more trouble, especially for an IRN.

I remember the OP before wrote how the bird gets into everything what they're doing - I'd just like to point out how this is a completely normal thing, especially for a baby bird. My Pascal will also go into everything what I'm doing, being it drawing, hanging on the phone, or being on the computer. He just wants to join in. As long he isn't being too destructive and TOO disturbing (and if it isn't dangerous), I let him jump around and join in my activities. You might as well just sit and start playing with parrot toys, and the bird will follow. This is what I did too.

D

Deleted member 42416

How about “sacrificial” canvases or art that she can have her way with?

We had to do a bit of bird proofing in the house including covering our solid oak banisters with burlap. To accommodate birbies we have to alter how we decorate. Valuable items may just need to be put away. Honestly, the most beautiful “items” in our house are the birds! They are living art! And so entertaining! David Attenborough has nothing compared to the wild kingdom in our house 😀!

Even better is the love and affection. Such amazing creatures. And so intelligent! Which is why they are curious and get into everything, no different than a toddler. Honestly, over the years I’ve come to realize that things are just things. It’s the relationships we build (whether pets or people) that are important.

Your birby sounds like she has a ton of personality!

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
You said it yourself - the bird will need diatraction from the things you do not want touched. But also you must understand that maybe it is the bird's way of getting your attention whether it be positive or negative.

It's still basically a baby! Have patience. Sometimes parrots are very very stubborn and you will have to find another way to cover or put away your artwork - talking from experience. This is one thing when it comes to owning a parrot - it is 90% of the time you who has to adjust, not the bird.

If the bird is very interested into something and it simply knows it is not supposed to touch it, as soon you turn your head away, I guarantee you that the bird will go back to it. All of random species and birds we had did it.

Sorry to tell you, but you will very likely have to cover your artwork or put it away!
Thank you. I am beginning to put things away, sadly. My question then is.... what happens when I bring them back out?

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots

She has all that. She has her tree and her table stand beside where I work most of the day. She also has window perches to view the world. She has foraging toys and other toys galore. We were having some good days then she just went "off the rails" yesterday. I felt like everything we were doing was for naught.
I am NOT getting her wings clipped for the same reason I have not had my dogs debarked. It's not for their own good in the long run (although feathers grow back - being debarked does not).
I am new to this baby parrot stuff as I've had adult parrots in the past so forgive my frustration thru lack of experience.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It is frustrating for sure :)
And you two will get better at lots if things and some boundaries.

You might also try and cage her during her normal nap time, and make a routine. So you can have an hour or so free time to work on your art without your winged helper ;)

Bird time is often slow to learn and change behavior. It seems like they can pick up bad stuff lightning fast! But changing behavior really can take a long time. We celebrate the little steps, like if yiu can keep him away from art supplies abd busy at play stands for 5 minutes that's a win! Then you try for 10, then work up to a half hour keep building on your success. Birds do learn routine and patterns.

You guys really have a great bind and she seems like a character! More pics!

Last edited:
OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
It is frustrating for sure :)
And you two will get better at lots if things and some boundaries.

You might also try and cage her during her normal nap time, and make a routine. So you can have an hour or so free time to work on your art without your winged helper ;)

Bird time is often slow to learn and change behavior. It seems like they can pick up bad stuff lightning fast! But changing behavior really can take a long time. We celebrate the little steps, like if yiu can keep him away from art supplies abd busy at play stands for 5 minutes that's a win! Then you try for 10, then work up to a half hour keep building on your success. Birds do learn routine and patterns.

You guys really have a great bind and she seems like a character! More pics!
Thanks Laurasea. Routine is the biggest thing here. She is dictating the routine and not both of us.
Re pics, she is a poser for the camera. She goes all mushy if I get the phone to take a photo of her. She even does the regurge thing but I am guessing because the phone has a metallic red back and she regurges to anything bling. Such a diva.
I've tried to post videos but they are too large and not being very techie I don't know how to shrink them.

Most Reactions