Help 18yr old Yellow Nape suddenly a terror

Chris&Cass

Aug 1, 2022
Parrots
18 yr old Yellow Nape
8 month old Green Conure
Weve had Gizzmo 18 years and he has suddenly turned on me specifically and everyone fearful of him. We recently got a 5 month old Conure he now enjoys preening at night on the Conures cage. Last night I was going to get him to take to his cage when he saw me took off straight to my head and death gripped my ear. We dont carry him on our shoulders so I dont believe it was a missed landing he wings are not clipped.

Im trying to figure out why he is suddenly charging me while on his cage and flying at me from the conure cage?

I feel my reactions to the 2 recent flying at me attacks have set his trust in me back. How do I work to get it back?

Ive been trying to get him on a better diet havent found the right thing yet. He loves corn, red apples, carrots, pasta cooked & raw, almonds ,peanuts, almonds (trying to save any nuts for training). He didnt like 15 bean soup.

Thanks for your ideas/experience

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Judging from the info in your post, and assuming no other major changes; itā€™s likely the introduction of the new bird that has altered your household dynamic. If he is grooming and spending all of his time with your conure he may see the new bird as his mate, and is protecting said bird from you!

It is, unfortunately, one of the dangers of keeping multiple parrots. Sometimes the humans end up being the odd ones out. If they havenā€™t been together long, you might be able to start keeping them in separate rooms to give you time to sort out how to move forward. If heā€™s regularly using flight to attack you, you may consider a light wing clip as well. I know itā€™s not something to do lightly, but you need to be able to work with him safely, and yellow napes are big birds capable of doing a lot of damage.

His diet being high in sugar, carbs and fat is probably not helping. Is he on any sort of pelleted diet? Harrisonā€™s and TOPS seem to be leading favorites around here, both for quality and popularity with birds. I would suggest eliminating peanuts (because of the risk of fungal contamination) but also to reserve other kinds of nuts as treats only. Some amount of healthy seed mix is fine - there are a few brands recommended by members here; I like the one TOPS puts out.

We have a really great forum dedicated to parrot diet here:

Lots of people post chop recipes and other tips and info. We have a 45 year old Yellow Nape we are currently trying to get interested in eating veg so I feel you; itā€™s not always easy! We have had her for about three months now and she still only sometimes picks at her veggies.

OP
C

Chris&Cass

Aug 1, 2022
Parrots
18 yr old Yellow Nape
8 month old Green Conure
Ravvet hit the nail on the head! Getting additional parrots always runs the risk of these kinds of complications, especially if the original parrot has been an 'only' for a long time.
Great advice everyone thank you! When I separate them can this be done just when YNA is out andbhide the conure in another room? Conure is my wifes baby and really want to keep both if possible.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Great advice everyone thank you! When I separate them can this be done just when YNA is out andbhide the conure in another room? Conure is my wifes baby and really want to keep both if possible.
Maybe. You can try it. They will probably still call to each other, though.

If you do that, I would work on reestablishing my bond with the Amazon so you are more the substitute mate than the conure. And maybe cut back on daylight hours and other things that signal ā€œtime to breed!ā€ To a parrot.

OP
C

Chris&Cass

Aug 1, 2022
Parrots
18 yr old Yellow Nape
8 month old Green Conure
Got him out after hiding the conure. He did pretty well trying to better understand him. Any ideas what/why his nape has no outter feathers?

Attachments

• 20220802_201122.jpg
    20220802_201122.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220802_203111.jpg
    20220802_203111.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 73

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Was the conure plucking him?

Maybe theyā€™re making a little nesty area out of his nape feathers?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Truly excellent advise provided above. I would strongly recommend that you read the Highlighted Thread near the top of the Amazon Forum titled something like Understand Amazon Body Language. You want to understand this like it is your first language as you are missing his base Body Language that he has been likely displaying.

Understand you have one of the Big, Hot Three of the Amazon family and they are easy to trip into a Hormonal Rage and having a Partner to Protect becomes a major trigger! The diet you are providing is as noted above, very dangerous, as those specific items tend to start a Hormonal Flow. Long story very short; change diet to reduce the triggers you are providing in volume. Increase sleep periods to over 12 hours plus. Keep your new arrival separate and Restart your relationship with your guy at Step-One!!

Also, read the second highlighted Thread at the top of the Amazon Forum as there is a ton of information in the huge thread including a diet guide for Amazons!

OP
C

Chris&Cass

Aug 1, 2022
Parrots
18 yr old Yellow Nape
8 month old Green Conure
I completly agree & started rw
Truly excellent advise provided above. I would strongly recommend that you read the Highlighted Thread near the top of the Amazon Forum titled something like Understand Amazon Body Language. You want to understand this like it is your first language as you are missing his base Body Language that he has been likely displaying.

Understand you have one of the Big, Hot Three of the Amazon family and they are easy to trip into a Hormonal Rage and having a Partner to Protect becomes a major trigger! The diet you are providing is as noted above, very dangerous, as those specific items tend to start a Hormonal Flow. Long story very short; change diet to reduce the triggers you are providing in volume. Increase sleep periods to over 12 hours plus. Keep your new arrival separate and Restart your relationship with your guy at Step-One!!

Also, read the second highlighted Thread at the top of the Amazon Forum as there is a ton of information in the huge thread including a diet guide for Amazo

Was the conure plucking him?

Maybe theyā€™re making a little nesty area out of his nape feathers?
Weve seen them preening higher on his head we think the bald area was a little thin before the conure arrival 7 months ago haven found any of the yellow feathers lots of fluffy down feathers from the YNA though. I was able to preen the YNA for several years when he let me. Conure (Ramseys) has been very willing to let us preen. Im traying to tranistion him to a yellow/green squash carrot blueberry or red apple yams mix (1/4 cup total)I gave him today hes curious but not eating yet.

I just got into both of the first 2 forums they are very well detialed will take some time with all the fantastic info.

Thank you

OP
C

Chris&Cass

Aug 1, 2022
Parrots
18 yr old Yellow Nape
8 month old Green Conure
I completly agree & started rw

Weve seen them preening higher on his head we think the bald area was a little thin before the conure arrival 7 months ago haven found any of the yellow feathers lots of fluffy down feathers from the YNA though. I was able to preen the YNA for several years when he let me. Conure (Ramseys) has been very willing to let us preen. Im traying to tranistion him to a yellow/green squash carrot blueberry or red apple yams mix (1/4 cup total)I gave him today hes curious but not eating yet.

I just got into both of the first 2 forums they are very well detialed will take some time with all the fantastic info.

Thank you
I have tried 3 seed or pellet mixes but was never able to get him to go to transitionthe pellets from Kaytee or Encore "parrot mix" i knew later had too many nuts/seeds

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Please remember that with Amazons' its a specific seed (Sunflower) and a specific nut (Peanut) that can lead to very serious health problems. The goal is limiting those items and adding quality fresh foods including dark green to light green veggies and limiting items that have sugar, especially during Hormonal season (mating season) .

OP
C

Chris&Cass

Aug 1, 2022
Parrots
18 yr old Yellow Nape
8 month old Green Conure
Please remember that with Amazons' its a specific seed (Sunflower) and a specific nut (Peanut) that can lead to very serious health problems. The goal is limiting those items and adding quality fresh foods including dark green to light green veggies and limiting items that have sugar, especially during Hormonal season (mating season) .
Ok so almonds pecans are good! He likes those too. Still trying to figure out the season for "him?"
Since the Conure arrived this year Jan he has been wound tight and not sure how to differintiate his protecting/possesiveness of Conure and when the season is for him. We are late to the acute need of daily Body language awareness šŸ˜

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Common Hormonal /Mating Season for Amazons tend to be as the length of the day begins to become longer and can last between four to eight weeks. Our DYHA common starts in very late December. NOTE: Any of the Big Hot Three can be caused to start at near anytime during a year if there are 'drivers' present. Examples: Lack of Sleep, Change in Schedule, inappropriate petting /touching, Diet heavy in Protein and/or sugar, Introduction of a new family member (Human or Parrot) and the list goes on and on!

Most Reactions

Latest posts