Help! Advice for my Grey

Winemama

Mar 25, 2022
Parrots
African gray
Hello everyone,
My Grey, Bogie (named after Humphrey Bogart) is 17 years old. At the age of 1 his feet were chewed to the point of fracturing by Bacall, another Grey meant to keep him company. She was older than him and my mother, who has since passed, was distraught at the mangled mess she made of poor Bogie. He has severe fractures in both back heels. I just had them x rayed today as the last week he has been struggling significantly. Arthritis has set in and his talons don't even touch the floor, just his haunches/heels. They told me he will likely get worse. He needs a change in diet, handicapped enclosure measures, and suggested I might go get a physical at the UT Vet hospital exotic division and see if he could qualify for talon replacement.
Has anyone had this surgery for their pet before?

Attachments

• 20220218_205816.jpg
    20220218_205816.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 70

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forums. We have a member with disabled sun conure. She is sure to have good advice.

Sea grass cargo nets might be helpful. You can create a cradle like this

20220325_194138.jpg

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I am so sorry to hear about your African Gray's medical issues.

I have a parrot with a broken wing which is a little different. I was informed to add a lot of perches to help my parrot get around. Never use a seed catcher because if a parrot falls they have been known to break their necks on them. I have a stand, and made a home made stand that I put next to it just so my parrot can get down if he needs to instead of him trying to fly, falling, and getting hurt.

That is amazing that your vet has recommended intervention for your parrot to give Bogie better quality of life. Keep us updated on how things are going.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
hope everything goes well and hope he recovers sending healing power to you

Most Reactions

Latest posts