Help! Are maggots dangerous?

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! šŸ‘‹ I have a male cockatiel named Kiko :)

This is a very weird post, but today I spotted an alive maggot on the scooper that I use for Kikoā€™s food (the scooper stays in the container with the food)

I donā€™t know if the maggot came from the food or somewhere else, but is this concerning? Are they dangerous for pet birds? I donā€™t think Kiko would eat anything that is alive or a type of bug but should I do anything about this? Should I search for more maggots in the food?

Thank you, take care!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
If it's a seed mix, worms can be pretty common. They usually hatch and pupate into moths before you catch them. that's why many people freeze food first to kill them.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
If it's a seed mix, worms can be pretty common. They usually hatch and pupate into moths before you catch them. that's why many people freeze food first to kill them.
Hello! šŸ‘‹ I have a male cockatiel named Kiko :)

This is a very weird post, but today I spotted an alive maggot on the scooper that I use for Kikoā€™s food (the scooper stays in the container with the food)

I donā€™t know if the maggot came from the food or somewhere else, but is this concerning? Are they dangerous for pet birds? I donā€™t think Kiko would eat anything that is alive or a type of bug but should I do anything about this? Should I search for more maggots in the food?

Thank you, take care!
I doubt its a true maggot. Maggots are fly larvae and hatch when flies lay their eggs on wet decaying vegetation or meat (dead animals). Its probably a moth larvae (caterpillar) from moths that lay eggs in grain and seed. Not harmful (birds may even enjoy eating them) but a sign that your seed is old and should be thrown away.

Most Reactions

Latest posts