HELP šŸšØ BIRD PLUCKED SOMETHING OUT

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a 3-5 month old, male cockatiel named Kiko :)

Before I state my concern, I would like you to know: Kiko has some broken/destroyed tail feathers. Heā€™s a young bird and he likes to break off his feathers sometimes, especially the tail. (He only has 2 good tail feathers that recently came in.) Kiko also broke a blood feather like a month ago, but it Is all healed now and there is only a dark spot of dried blood. (I had someone open up his wing and check it for an injury because I thought that dark spot isnā€™t dried blood, I thought itā€™s an injury or something.)

Today, he was preening and he pulled something out. (Pictures below šŸ‘‡) He didnt pull out a full feather, just this shaft or quill part. I think he either pulled it from where he broke the blood feather stated above or his tail/butt. I donā€™t seem to see any blood, though. The blood on the shaft thing is dried blood so Iā€™m guessing he pulled it from where he has dried blood? (The wing.)

What is this? Is this serious? Should I be concerned? I checked to see if heā€™s bleeding anywhere, and heā€™s not. He doesnā€™t look to be in pain and heā€™s flapping his wings just fine.

Below i also have a picture of his tail feathers and where the blood stain is on his healed wing. (Yes, he is clipped :( but we wonā€™t be clipping his wings ourselves ever, we will let them grow once new feathers come in.)

Thanks to anyone who replies! šŸ’• šŸ¦š

Attachments

• 042F543A-CAC6-46C8-AF8C-6FD5C0B3BA47.jpeg
    042F543A-CAC6-46C8-AF8C-6FD5C0B3BA47.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 100
  • B7775301-368C-4D07-BA36-25ED806D98A6.jpeg
    B7775301-368C-4D07-BA36-25ED806D98A6.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 91
  • A28D0086-A2B9-43A5-8EB6-6A4447247F0F.jpeg
    A28D0086-A2B9-43A5-8EB6-6A4447247F0F.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 92
  • FE35FD8A-CC78-4895-9754-CEC0A2A9DDC6.jpeg
    FE35FD8A-CC78-4895-9754-CEC0A2A9DDC6.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 92

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
It looks ok to me, in that there is no active bleeding, and it would appear to be the remnants of an old broken blood feather that is no longer an issue. It may have been irritating him, and given his age it's likely that he was going to moult it out anyway pretty soon. My cockatiel Fang once busted a blood feather in his wing when he was very young too, and it left a remnant not unlike this one, and he plucked it out himself a while later with no further issue. I know that you will be keeping a very close eye on Kiko to ensure he doesn't start bleeding as a result of this or any other feather that he may remove, but I think he will be fine :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It looks ok to me, in that there is no active bleeding, and it would appear to be the remnants of an old broken blood feather that is no longer an issue. It may have been irritating him, and given his age it's likely that he was going to moult it out anyway pretty soon. My cockatiel Fang once busted a blood feather in his wing when he was very young too, and it left a remnant not unlike this one, and he plucked it out himself a while later with no further issue. I know that you will be keeping a very close eye on Kiko to ensure he doesn't start bleeding as a result of this or any other feather that he may remove, but I think he will be fine :)
Agree completely with above.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
If any bleeding start you either go to the vet or apply corn flour if you dont have corn flour then apply flour (but corn flour is better)

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
This happened last night and it is the next day now. I checked again for any bleeding or anything unusual, and he seems to be fine. Should I assume that this wasnā€™t anything serious then?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
This happened last night and it is the next day now. I checked again for any bleeding or anything unusual, and he seems to be fine. Should I assume that this wasnā€™t anything serious then?
I suggest you keep an eye on it for the next few days just in case :) it's probably not something serious.

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
If any bleeding start you either go to the vet or apply corn flour if you dont have corn flour then apply flour (but corn flour is better)
I was reading the posts and saw this one you wrote- AND I just had to tell you about something that happened to me. Several years ago I had a Blue and Gold macaw - My family was up in the mountains building a cabin for winter and summer vacations. I had my macaw with me as we wewre to be up there for a month. Now we are in a RV , fully stocked for me and hubby along with our Macaw and Shepherd. I woke at about 3 am to Julio ( macaw) screaming- when I turned on the lights I screamed! There was blood spattered on the wall next to the cage and Julios beak was half torn off! I have no idea what happened but we were 2 hours from a vet and it was saturday night and I had no idea about the vets 2 hours away. I panicked as My sweet Julio laid on the bottom of his cage and was making sad noises. I just began tearing thru the cabinets and first aid kits- I saw a bag of flour and for whatever reason grabbed a hanfull and scooped up my bird , applied it to his hanging beak and pushed his beak back to where it was supposed to be- I sat for several hours with my baby - wondering when he would take his last breath. After a while I must have fallen asleep cuz I woke with a start as the RV came top a rough stop and saw that we were home! after getting him to emergency vet hosp I was told that the flour was a smart thing I did! Julio healed nicely- I dont have him anymore but keep in touch and he is doing great for an old man. Anyway I just was surprised to see your post about using flour!
Birds of a feather!! Teresa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
I'm really glad he survived, what a story!.

Most Reactions

Latest posts