Help bone protrusion broken wing

rickyjoepr

Aug 29, 2016
Hello,

My macaw's wing broke on saturday, the carpometacarpus broke where it meets the radius, and the joint of the radius is protruding from the skin.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...xvEezITO0_LxoTLVuuzoLGDg&ust=1472591989335855

I performed a figure 8 wrap and he is climbing and eating well , but I am worried that it may not heal correctly because if the bones are not touching while in the figure 8 wrap, they will not fuse and the carpometacarpus will be left dangling

I want to take him to a vet, but I know I cannot afford surgery to make sure the bones fuse correctly. What should I do?

How can I afford the surgery for him

RS

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I wish it was under better circumstances, however. I'd say you should try calling around to avian vets and asking if any might be willing to work with you on a payment plan. It really is imperative that you get him to an avian vet as soon as possible. Aside from the obvious issues of the pain and possible incorrect healing which might take away the functionality of that wing, there is also the possibility of infection which could potentially kill your macaw.

If you can't find any AV's willing to do an installment plan, you could try calling around to Rescues in the area and asking them about possible options.

Please keep us updated about your mac's condition. He'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
You MUST figure something out - beg from friends and family if necessary. Or, give the bird up to a shelter or rescue. To not treat him is cruelty - like legally animal cruelty.

What area are you located in? Maybe someone here will have some ideas in your area.

OP
R

rickyjoepr

Aug 29, 2016
I agree, I love him.

Im working on it now, and it looks like I may be taking him to tuft medical school tonight.

I am in western, MA.

Even thought I did not qualify for the care credit plan, I am more than able to pay for a payment plan. It will be a matter of finding someone who is willing to accept a payment plan for me.

If any of you have any other ideas, please voice them, as I am all ears.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I hope Tufts works out!
And since you can do a payment plan, how about asking a family member to pay the bill then you make payments to that person?

OP
R

rickyjoepr

Aug 29, 2016
I do not have any immediate family who I know would help me. I am not going to be able to find anyone to foot the bill, but perhaps someone will cosign for the vetrinary care credit plan.

Thank you all for your support

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Seriously, a bone is sticking out of your parrots skin? Dude, I would selling every thing I owned to get the scratch to get him to a vet. Car, ring, cameras, pc's, phones, shoot the clothes off my back. I can't even begin to think on what the correct treatment for this might be, but putting some kind of wrap on him ... Hell show up at an avian vets front desk and plead with them, offer to cut lawns for the life of the
vet, anything.

janquito

Aug 10, 2016
Wisconsin
Parrots
Two green cheek conures, one sun conure, and two quakers.
I'm so sorry that this has happened to your macaw. I can't imagine the pain he's going through plus how awful you must feel. I do hope things work out for you both; keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi I am really sorry for the situation you are in but please get your bird to an AV pronto. Please let us know how you get on? :)

What if you apply for a lesser amount of credit? Would it work?

To others just passing through on here that are perhaps considering owning a bird this is one very good reason to have all your ducks in a row before taking that huge step to owning a bird. Birds can be expensive and as can be seen here accidents happen when you least expect them. Please be sensible and either have the funds or a care plan or insurance (UK) set up.

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
Hi I am really sorry for the situation you are in but please get your bird to an AV pronto. Please let us know how you get on? :)

To others just passing through on here that are perhaps considering owning a bird this is one very good reason to have all your ducks in a row before taking that huge step to owning a bird. Birds can be expensive and as can be seen here accidents happen when you least expect them. Please be sensible and either have the funds or a care plan or insurance (UK) set up.

We have pet insurance here in the US also :D

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.

We have pet insurance here in the US also :D

We dont have care Plans!:rolleyes:

Most Reactions

Latest posts