Help! Ceiling perches/ropes

Cinnanymph

Sep 9, 2021
Hi everyone, I wasn't sure if I needed to post this in toys or here, but since it involves some DIY I thought this would be the better area.

So, I want to suspend some ropes to be perches from the ceiling, as well as boing-boings and swings, in order to encourage my birds to fly and give them a safe landing place that isn't just the top of the cage, somewhere higher they can land on. I have seen so many beautiful pictures of bird rooms and I'm always shy about asking the details, so I am hoping someone here will point me in the right direction!

What kind of hooks do you recommend for putting into the ceiling? There ARE joists it can go into, and I will have a professional install them so that's not an issue. I just want the hooks to be as safe as possible. How do you suspend the ropes? How do you make them not move too much? Any tips or tricks when putting the ropes on?

For context, this will be for TWO COCKATIELS, so weight is going to be mostly based on the 90-110g range plus the rope weight. I need to factor their sticky beaks into the situation, but there will be an upper limit for bite strength/trying to pull the hooks out. I just want to ensure they don't catch their wings or bodies on any hooks.

I'm in the UK, so I will probably order my ropes from JungleGold or Scarlett's.

Many thanks for any help!

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Sir H. H. Gregg Q. T. Birb, III
Did anyone ever contact you? I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on some supplies because of reviews RE chemical smells for both ropes and hooks =(

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I use heavy nylon chain from a DYI store - Salty can run from end to end if he wants to. CHain is easier to anchor to the ceiling. FOr hooks I used heavy duty screw eyes in stainless steel and bent the eye open to accept the chain. He loves his play chain, with all his toys and stuff hung from it.
user26447_pic16630_1467761509.jpg
user26447_pic16636_1467824954.jpg

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I use 1" sisal rope threaded through circular wrought-iron gate-handles (my husband's idea). I always make sure there's a loose end with a knot in it that hangs down about five feet. Rosetta likes to swing at the end of a rope, while the Beaks just watch her in horror. :)

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
I use 1" sisal rope threaded through circular wrought-iron gate-handles (my husband's idea). I always make sure there's a loose end with a knot in it that hangs down about five feet. Rosetta likes to swing at the end of a rope, while the Beaks just watch her in horror. :)
What brand of sisal do you use? It feels like every time I find something, the reviews are like, "Killed my bird" or "poisoned my cat" or "by oil-free they didn't mention all the mineral oil on it" 😫

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I get untreated sisal from Sydney Rope Company. I've dealt with them for over a decade and am always happy with the product they supply. There are other ropes, such as nylon or 'jute' or cotton, but I find the birds tend to leave the sisal alone. Having said that, though, I've noticed Rosetta has begun fluffing the end of her rope: if she keeps it up, I might have to find an alternative to prevent her ingesting any of it. :(

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Thanks! That's very helpful!!!

Most Reactions