HELP šŸšØ Cockatielā€™s sleeping

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a 4-5 month old male Cockatiel named Kiko. The following info is pretty long so sorry about that šŸ˜­

I need someoneā€™s help:

So this is about his sleeping schedule and sleeping in general. This month, we had to slightly change his schedule because of Ramadan. So, he usually slept in the living room with a tall lamp dimly on. Then, my mom got a new job and since our house isnā€™t that big and we only have 3 rooms, she started to work in the living room. Our basement isnā€™t finished otherwise she would have worked there. I donā€™t think Kiko had a problem with her working there though. She would talk quietly and only get up for the bathroom (that is near Kikoā€™s cage.) sometimes my mom has to cook in the kitchen and the fumes arenā€™t safe for Kiko plus itā€™s loud so on days she cooks she lets us know and we put his cage in my brothers room (which is hard bc his cage is heavy) and my brother sleeps in my room or in my parents.

Now, because of Ramadan, all of us wake up at around 4am and sleep at 6am. We turn all the lights on and we need to cook. So now, this whole month Kiko has been sleeping in my brotherā€™s room alone. Since I am up basically all night, I check up on him every hour of so, and heā€™s awake all the time. He has a little bridge in his cage that he loves and finds super comfy and he sleeps on that, he gets all chubby and cozy but his eyes are always open.

How he sleeps in my brothers room: we put him in a nice and warm spot and we put his little baby night light right in front of him. (Itā€™s a yellow light)

I NEED SOME HELP AND HAVE QUESTIONS šŸ‘‡

1. Is it bad that we sometimes make him sleep in my brotherā€™s room?

2. Will he be fine with my mom being in the living room with him? (I think he is but I donā€™t know bc his cage is put near the bathroom which my mom uses.)

3. Heā€™s in the room for around 10-12 hours this month, and before that we would eat at around 8:30-9:00 and then put him to sleep in the living room and someone would go down at 8:00 am the next day. Is that fine?

4. IMPORTANT: I put his baby light right Infornt of him so he sees it. Is that bad? Is that why heā€™s not sleeping? Itā€™s not a really big light but itā€™s big enough for the room to be dimly lit. Should I place it farther? (Maybe he canā€™t sleep bc of the light.)

5. I know birds will wake up from sudden movements, but unless itā€™s loud, will they also wake up from noises? Like talking noises. I really donā€™t want him having a night fright!!

6. Can I use something to cover his cage with? What kind of material do I need to look for, and will he be fine with that bc we have never used something to cover his cage with before. (I donā€™t think he likes it, he tries to find spaces to look out from and hisses when we lift it off.)

Itā€™s a bit difficult to move his cage every single day upstairs because in the mornings we bring him back down so he can be in front of our eyes at all times.

I really need to find him a good fixed place and I donā€™t know where to put him. We have a hallway upstairs but itā€™s not that long or wide and thereā€™s a bathroom there which someone might use in the middle of the night. Can that give him a night fright? (Or the sound of someone coming up or down the stairs, etc.)

Thanks to anyone who replies and thanks for reading all that! šŸ’•

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a 4-5 month old male Cockatiel named Kiko. The following info is pretty long so sorry about that šŸ˜­

I need someoneā€™s help:

So this is about his sleeping schedule and sleeping in general. This month, we had to slightly change his schedule because of Ramadan. So, he usually slept in the living room with a tall lamp dimly on. Then, my mom got a new job and since our house isnā€™t that big and we only have 3 rooms, she started to work in the living room. Our basement isnā€™t finished otherwise she would have worked there. I donā€™t think Kiko had a problem with her working there though. She would talk quietly and only get up for the bathroom (that is near Kikoā€™s cage.) sometimes my mom has to cook in the kitchen and the fumes arenā€™t safe for Kiko plus itā€™s loud so on days she cooks she lets us know and we put his cage in my brothers room (which is hard bc his cage is heavy) and my brother sleeps in my room or in my parents.

Now, because of Ramadan, all of us wake up at around 4am and sleep at 6am. We turn all the lights on and we need to cook. So now, this whole month Kiko has been sleeping in my brotherā€™s room alone. Since I am up basically all night, I check up on him every hour of so, and heā€™s awake all the time. He has a little bridge in his cage that he loves and finds super comfy and he sleeps on that, he gets all chubby and cozy but his eyes are always open.

How he sleeps in my brothers room: we put him in a nice and warm spot and we put his little baby night light right in front of him. (Itā€™s a yellow light)

2. Will he be fine with my mom being in the living room with him? (I think he is but I donā€™t know bc his cage is put near the bathroom which my mom uses.)

3. Heā€™s in the room for around 10-12 hours this month, and before that we would eat at around 8:30-9:00 and then put him to sleep in the living room and someone would go down at 8:00 am the next day. Is that fine?

4. IMPORTANT: I put his baby light right Infornt of him so he sees it. Is that bad? Is that why heā€™s not sleeping? Itā€™s not a really big light but itā€™s big enough for the room to be dimly lit. Should I place it farther? (Maybe he canā€™t sleep bc of the light.)

5. I know birds will wake up from sudden movements, but unless itā€™s loud, will they also wake up from noises? Like talking noises. I really donā€™t want him having a night fright!!

6. Can I use something to cover his cage with? What kind of material do I need to look for, and will he be fine with that bc we have never used something to cover his cage with before. (I donā€™t think he likes it, he tries to find spaces to look out from and hisses when we lift it off.)

Itā€™s a bit difficult to move his cage every single day upstairs because in the mornings we bring him back down so he can be in front of our eyes at all times.

I really need to find him a good fixed place and I donā€™t know where to put him. We have a hallway upstairs but itā€™s not that long or wide and thereā€™s a bathroom there which someone might use in the middle of the night. Can that give him a night fright? (Or the sound of someone coming up or down the stairs, etc.)

I have no clue if he is getting enough sleep. He doesnā€™t look tired or sleep deprived in the day time, heā€™s usually pretty active. SOMETIMES he falls asleep on our chest or when heā€™s on our shoulder and weā€™re laying down or siting he would tuck his head in and sleep.

Iā€™ve only seen him sleep with his head tucked in at night when he sleeps in the living room btw!

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Yes that is very bad you should put a little further away
If he doesn't like that then i recommend not to do it because if you did it he will not be able to sleep because he doesn't like it so i recommend no
Yes they can wake up from movement or talking noises i have the same problem too i wake up at 4 so i can have suhar when i wake up (we normally eat in the living room ) so we put the birds in my room until we finish and we are gonna go to sleep i put the birds back in the living room and turn off the lights. Ramadan KareemšŸŒ™
Well me too i don't
really have another choice so i also have to carry my birds cage it is pretty heavy

Well it depends on your brother's room environment
That could give a night fright any movements sudden noises or any movement can freak a bird out but its good that you have a night light for him
well that depends if he loves or doesn't
hate your mom

I am not sure if its fine or not me i usually wake up at 8 am - 9 am and get the birds out when i wake up

Hope this helps!!! because i am dealing with the same situation

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Ramadan karem safa!
I dont really deal with these problems because i had school in ramadan as well so i have to get up early
And i donā€™t have a bird anymore
As may said
Depends on your brotherā€™s environment
I think he would be fine imo

Have you tried covering only part of the cage?
Tiki hated being covered as well so we only covered 3 sides of the cage (left the right one and a bit of the front uncovered) and she enjoyed it
Whenever she would hear something she could just peep out of the uncovered side and make sure that its just a family member (we had a nightlight so that she could see a bit)
Have you considered a playstand or a smaller cage for the living room?
Tiki had two cages
A sleep cage in a spare room
And a flight cage in the living room (altho i put it in storage after a while since she doesnt use it)
I have no clue if he is getting enough sleep. He doesnā€™t look tired or sleep deprived in the day time, heā€™s usually pretty active. SOMETIMES he falls asleep on our chest or when heā€™s on our shoulder and weā€™re laying down or siting he would tuck his head in and sleep.

Iā€™ve only seen him sleep with his head tucked in at night when he sleeps in the living room btw!
It sounds like he is getting enough sleep
Naps are normal imo
Also sounds like a healthy sleeping position:)

Sorry for the short reply!
As i said I dont experience this

Happy ramadan hope you enjoy it!

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Yes that is very bad you should put a little further away

If he doesn't like that then i recommend not to do it because if you did it he will not be able to sleep because he doesn't like it so i recommend no

Yes they can wake up from movement or talking noises i have the same problem too i wake up at 4 so i can have suhar when i wake up (we normally eat in the living room ) so we put the birds in my room until we finish and we are gonna go to sleep i put the birds back in the living room and turn off the lights. Ramadan KareemšŸŒ™

Well me too i don't
really have another choice so i also have to carry my birds cage it is pretty heavy

Well it depends on your brother's room environment

That could give a night fright any movements sudden noises or any movement can freak a bird out but its good that you have a night light for him

well that depends if he loves or doesn't
hate your mom

I am not sure if its fine or not me i usually wake up at 8 am - 9 am and get the birds out when i wake up

Hope this helps!!! because i am dealing with the same situation
Thank u so much for ur reply! šŸ’—

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Ramadan karem safa!
I dont really deal with these problems because i had school in ramadan as well so i have to get up early
And i donā€™t have a bird anymore

As may said
Depends on your brotherā€™s environment

I think he would be fine imo

Have you tried covering only part of the cage?
Tiki hated being covered as well so we only covered 3 sides of the cage (left the right one and a bit of the front uncovered) and she enjoyed it
Whenever she would hear something she could just peep out of the uncovered side and make sure that its just a family member (we had a nightlight so that she could see a bit)

Have you considered a playstand or a smaller cage for the living room?
Tiki had two cages
A sleep cage in a spare room
And a flight cage in the living room (altho i put it in storage after a while since she doesnt use it)

It sounds like he is getting enough sleep
Naps are normal imo
Also sounds like a healthy sleeping position:)

Sorry for the short reply!
As i said I dont experience this

Happy ramadan hope you enjoy it!
Thanks for your reply :) ā¤ļø To one of your questions: this one time we had to take him with us in our car and he wanted to come out the cage so we covered it with a blanket. He didnā€™t like it but he also wasnā€™t freaking out, he kept trying to peep through and see whatā€™s going on though, until it got dark.

This other time we were having some work done in the living room and I couldnā€™t move his cage upstairs so I put it near a window in the living room and I only covered the back of the cage so he couldnā€™t see whatā€™s happening behind him (the big ladder was scaring him.) when I went to check up on him he was on the ground of the cage in a corner super scared and hissing šŸ˜£ so I never covered him again. (We only cover him when we take him outside.)

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Any more questions?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

I need someoneā€™s help:

1. Birds can get used to a change in their routine, and sometimes things change for us humans and it can't be helped. If you are going into your brother's room to check on him frequently, you may be waking him up each time you go in. I agree with getting a sleep cage for him so that you don't have to move his big cage so much.

2. If the bathroom noises are what worries you, my main bathroom is directly above my big bird room, and you can hear the pipes down there. It doesn't bother them at all. I would know because my cockatoo screams if anything bothers him.
I'm going to answer this out of order, but I think a cage cover may help him with your Mom working in there. As Zorace mentioned, perhaps cover part of the cage where he would see your Mom's movement and see if it helps.

3. Those usual hours sound fine to me.

4. How far away is the lamp that he is used to being on in the living room? Perhaps place him as far away from the nightlight as the lamp is, if possible.

5. Noises can wake them up, but birds can also get used to quiet noises if they need to. In my last house my small bird room was directly across the hall from my bedroom, and I watch TV until late in the night. The TV could be heard in their room but I never noticed an issue with the birds.

6. I use a sheet for my cockatoo, he is my only bird who is covered. I have to replace it at least once a week because he chews on it, but that probably wouldn't be much of an issue with your cockatiel. You would need to keep an eye on it though to make sure.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Can I say ā€œhappy Ramadanā€?

I would move the nightlight away from the cage so itā€™s mostly dark for your cockatiel when he needs to sleep.

Otherwise, I think if itā€™s quiet and dark in the room heā€™s in, he should be ok. I assume he knows your mom so her being in the room with him isnā€™t a big deal. I used to take my birds with me on trips on their carriers and they did ok as long as they were covered or in the dark for 12 hrs or so.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Can I say ā€œhappy Ramadanā€?

I would move the nightlight away from the cage so itā€™s mostly dark for your cockatiel when he needs to sleep.

Otherwise, I think if itā€™s quiet and dark in the room heā€™s in, he should be ok. I assume he knows your mom so her being in the room with him isnā€™t a big deal. I used to take my birds with me on trips on their carriers and they did ok as long as they were covered or in the dark for 12 hrs or so.
Yes you can say it and thank you! šŸ’• yes, people told me to move his night light farther away and I did and yesterday I caught him with his eyes actually closed :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Looks like everyone gave you great advice!

I will share that all my birds cages are in my great room ( combo living, dining, kitchen ) I put them up at the dsne time and get up st tge same time. Once they are in their cages, and after about 7pm I don't talk to them or disterb them. But I still have lights on low snd TV. There half of the room is pretty dark. I may stay up late. But doesnā€™t seem to dustreb them its been our routine for years.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Looks like everyone gave you great advice!

I will share that all my birds cages are in my great room ( combo living, dining, kitchen ) I put them up at the dsne time and get up st tge same time. Once they are in their cages, and after about 7pm I don't talk to them or disterb them. But I still have lights on low snd TV. There half of the room is pretty dark. I may stay up late. But doesnā€™t seem to dustreb them its been our routine for years.
Hi, Laurasea, thanks for the comment šŸ’— this is off topic from this post but about the last post about birdā€™s sneezing: I think you are right. It might be nothing but itā€™s best to get it checked out. I have been stressed and paranoid ever since that convo with you and I have been monitoring him very carefully; so far no major signs of illness, but I will book an appointment tomorrow when the vetā€™s clinic opens up. Thank you so much for what you shared with me on that post and for educating me more on that topic šŸ˜Š I might even make a post after we come back from the vet (if thereā€™s something wrong or he gets diagnosed with something, it would be nice to find out other people who have experienced the same thing with their birds too!) thanks again!

Most Reactions